Is it possible to show an estimated completion date in a Jira issue based on configured sprints?

Tim Long October 12, 2012

I'm using Greenhopper to schedule work. Is it possible for Jira issues to surface a projected completion date for an issue, based on which sprint it has been assigned to?

My thinking is that it would be handy for people who submit bugs/improvement requests to get some feedback about how long their issue will take to complete.

Perhaps there is a better way to do this? All suggestions appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2012

GreenHopper is not magic :-)

You could make a Dashboard public and include a roadmap on this, which would show the dates for the upcoming sprint drops. Or try one of the other GreenHopper gadgets.

Making the backlog publically visible might help, Working with your Product Owner to priortise bugs would also give people an indication because when they looked at the backilog and saw that certain bugs were higher priority that other stories. You could also made use of the planned sprint field for sheduling bug fixes.

Tim Long November 16, 2012

Some good ideas there, thanks. My usage is fairly atypical in that I'm the only user of the system and I have tasks from several different projects all scheduled in the same sprint. The end users for each project are different and never the twain shall meet! So exposing my rapid board would not be desirable, I really don't want to completely open my internal processes and talking in terms of sprints would be too technical and domain specific for my users to deal with.

Its a shame that Greenhopper can't let me just advertise an 'expected completion date'. It knows what issues are in which sprints, it should be able to work out how long a sprint takes on average (either based on some static setting or based on the velocity chart) and from those two pieces of information, it should be possible to derive a forcast completion date, which could be stored back into a Jira field and made available to the end users who are watching the issue.

I think I may submit this as a feature request. I'm selecting your answer as 'accepted'. Thanks again!

0 votes
Tim Long October 12, 2012

Dear Atlassian, please note the blatant spam response I received to this question - within 2 minutes of posting. You have a serious issue!

Suggest an answer