Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to include the comments on a page when exporting to a pdf?

Rachel Robinson April 27, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Exporting Content to Word, PDF, HTML and XML

Is it possible to include page comments when exporting to PDF?

I have found the way to include the comments when exporting to HTML, however, then the commenters name does not appear, but instead the user ID. For our purposes, this is not useful.

Is there a certain script which can be used in customizing the PDF stylesheet which include the comments?

6 answers

3 votes
Stefan Baader December 5, 2018

I created a user macro which includes the comments into the page body to be printed and exported as PDF.
See here:
https://web-seitig.de/page-comments-user-macro-for-confluence-to-include-page-comments-in-pdf-export-and-in-print/50/

Anu Murali February 13, 2020

Hi, I tried that and seems not working. On generating to pdf a portion of the script appear on the first page followed by space. 

Peter Kernebone February 15, 2021

Hi @Stefan Baader , I wonder if you could provide a little more info on how to use your macro? It's a new process for me. Thanks

0 votes
Kevin Denny II December 5, 2019

I just tried to print the page with comments on it locally, and instead of printing, choose the option to Save to PDF and wahlah! You know have a PDF of your page with everything on it.  Doesn't come out too messy either

0 votes
Monique Khairuliana
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2019

Confluence PDF export will not export comments. There's a feature request for this if you're interested: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-8888

Stefan Baader October 9, 2019

Thx Monique, I voted and additionally added my workaround for those who can't wait until Atlassian moves.

0 votes
Johannes Schneider October 23, 2018

Hi Rachel, how did you manage to include the comments exporting to HTML? 

I am also stuck in exporting comments. Any format, any help is welcome!

Thanks!!

0 votes
Michael Uschold February 23, 2017

As a workaround, export the word file, then copy/paste the comments from the Wiki page into the word document. You get a bit of junk, like images and reply/delete/like links but its fine for occasional exports of stable documents.

0 votes
Rachel Robins
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2016

Hi Rachel,  sorry Confluence does not export comments to PDF.  

Although you can customise the PDF export layout and stylesheet (see Customise Exports to PDF), I'm not sure you would be able to make it include the comments, as it is not processed as part of the export. Hopefully someone else from the community will chime in if they have discovered a way to do this. 

There is an add-on from K15t that extends Confluence's PDF export capabilities, but I'm not sure whether it has an option to include comments.  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.k15t.scroll.scroll-pdf/server/overview

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events