Is it possible to create a filter that will accept the value for the search field from the user?

Within Jira Core, is it possible to set up a filter that will accept the value for the search field from the user? For example, I have a custom field called client name - user A might want to search for all issues associated with client X and user B might want to search for all issues related to client Y.  Or user A might want to search for all issues related to client Y at a different time.

Is it possible to set up a filter in which the client name is a variable that can be accepted based on the name user wants to search on?

Thanks.

Deepa

1 answer

0 vote

You're looking for "A filter with a second input that refines it further".  JIRA does not do those, it expects a user to build the filters they need. 

I understand the desire to do this, but I've found it often leads to people really not understanding the results.  An admin has "spoon fed" them part of their filter, so they don't need to think about it, and this can lead to some very "interesting" reporting and meetings about how everyone is quoting different figures based on the same data.  In many ways, I'm quite glad JIRA doesn't do it.

Thanks for your response, Nic.  That makes sense!  

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

56 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you