Is it possible to create a filter that will accept the value for the search field from the user?

Deepa Narasimhan June 21, 2017

Within Jira Core, is it possible to set up a filter that will accept the value for the search field from the user? For example, I have a custom field called client name - user A might want to search for all issues associated with client X and user B might want to search for all issues related to client Y.  Or user A might want to search for all issues related to client Y at a different time.

Is it possible to set up a filter in which the client name is a variable that can be accepted based on the name user wants to search on?

Thanks.

Deepa

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2017

You're looking for "A filter with a second input that refines it further".  JIRA does not do those, it expects a user to build the filters they need. 

I understand the desire to do this, but I've found it often leads to people really not understanding the results.  An admin has "spoon fed" them part of their filter, so they don't need to think about it, and this can lead to some very "interesting" reporting and meetings about how everyone is quoting different figures based on the same data.  In many ways, I'm quite glad JIRA doesn't do it.

Deepa Narasimhan June 22, 2017

Thanks for your response, Nic.  That makes sense!  

Suggest an answer