Is it Possible to Clone an Issue Type

Max Saperstone February 18, 2013

The question sums it up generally. What I'm looking to do is create a new Issue Type, but to retain certain aspects from an existing Issue Type.

Specially, I want an issue type identical to the Epic (from Greenhopper) Issue Type, but of a different name. I do not simply want to rename the Epic Issue Type, as I need this for other tracking I am performing.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Max Saperstone February 23, 2013

Ahmad's comment properly answers my question.

"Since you would like to add a new issue type to be same as Epic in GreenHopper, I am afraid this may not be possible at the current moment. There's an existing Story/Feature Request had been raised in our system to address this functionality, you may kindly refer to it for more info on the matter:

- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7203

There's no other workaround that we are aware of to achieve this, hence you may kindly follow the Story for future updates on the matter. Feel free to drop your comment to the issue if you have any further feedback to our developers."

bci-lvillac February 22, 2021

We all need that functionality, please implement.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2013

In this case, that means that you'd just be creating a new custom field with the same issue type of the default Epic field, correct?

You are able to freely create any custom fielf with the types available in your system. The custom field you create though will not contain any of the data from any of the other custom fields of the same type.

If you're unfamilar with custom field tools, take a look at the following article.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field

Max Saperstone February 18, 2013

I don't believe this solves the problem. I can add fields, but I lose the special assosiativity that the Epic Issue Type provides. These fields are useful for general JIRA types, but the added Greenhopper features don't appear to be supported

Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2013

Hi there,

Since you would like to add a new issue type to be same as Epic in GreenHopper, I am afraid this may not be possible at the current moment. There's an existing Story/Feature Request had been raised in our system to address this functionality, you may kindly refer to it for more info on the matter:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7203

There's no other workaround that we are aware of to achieve this, hence you may kindly follow the Story for future updates on the matter. Feel free to drop your comment to the issue if you have any further feedback to our developers.

I hope that this clarifies the matter. :)

Suggest an answer