Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installers on Windows Vista silently do not start

Alexandre Mikhalenkov January 9, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Installing JIRA applications on Windows

I downloaded 64-bit Windows installers for Bitbucket (server) and JIRA Software (server) in Firefox 43.0.4. When launching installers from my favourite command line helper Far Manager, I got a very strange message "Aborted by user. Failed to execute" or something like that. When launching installers directly from Windows Explorer, it did just NOTHING. No error message, nothing. The process did not even appear in the task manager. I scanned both installers by Avira explicitly and then disabled Avira altogether. No effect. I tried to "Run as administrator". No effect.

Finally, I googled smile The root cause is Windows Vista + NTFS tags all downloaded .exe files as "downloaded" and just silently refuses to launch them. Thanks, Microsoft. Solution : right-click on the .exe and press "Unblock" button on the bottom if the "General" tab, then "OK".

I realize there are not so many Vista users left around, but maybe it will help someone.

2 answers

1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2016

Nice reference for anyone still using Windows Vista. 

0 votes
Zack Krasowski December 6, 2016

Just fired up an old desktop with Vista and am planning on using it for working on a couple active projects.  Having not used Vista in forever, I could not figure out why I couldn't get SourceTree, Putty, and a number of other applications (I just downloaded) to open.  This just made my day!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events