Incoming Mail handler for comments not working

I have a custom Incoming Mail handler set up for comments from email replies. It's the Add a comment before a specified marker or separator in the email body type. The important part of it is that I had a Split Regex property set to /From:/, so it that it would remove from the comment the reply message below From:, which is usually the previous comment.

It was working fine for several months, but suddenly within the last few days, it stopped removing the reply message from the comments.

So do I need to adjust something? I'm not very confident that I have it set up correctly anyway, since I have this custom mail handler set up in parallel with the default Comments from emails handler, which has the property of Strip Quotes: true, but doesn't appear to actually strip quotes.

Please help.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I submitted a support ticket for this a while back, and eventually we determined that the reason the custom mail handler stopped working was due to the default mailer handler taking priority. Apparently JIRA can't act on both mail handlers, so it only uses the default one if present. The support person advised me just to delete the default one, which does fix the problem. However, since it's JIRA OnDemand, any time the servers are restarted or there is an update, the default mail handler comes back. This forces me to go in every week or so and delete the default handler, which is a pain in the butt.

It's worth saying that the only reason that we don't just use the default mail handler is because it doesn't support stripping previous comments from incoming mail from Outlook 2007, because the format is different from later versions of Outlook.

This all happened a long time ago, so I don't have links to all the information I found, but to summarize, Atlassian has no plans to support Outlook 2007 with the default incoming mail handler, and there are also no plans to allow the default mail handler to support a custom Split Regex property, nor to keep the default mail handler from coming back after it's been deleted.

I like JIRA and the OnDemand option, but this is one of many frustrations I have with the service.

Ahmad Danial Atlassian Team Feb 26, 2014

Dear Jason,

Thank you for the feedback that you have provided. I can understand the frustration that you have when you mentioned that Atlassian does not have any plans for this. May we know whether you have tried to lodge in a ticket on https://jira.atlassian.com/to see whether other users might also want this to be implemented as well? It is worth the try.

I am not sure whether there are any New Feature tickets currently present that explicitly mention as far as I am concerned.

Hi Ahmad,

Yeah, back when I was looking into this, I found that there was already one entered a year and a half ago, and based on the low number of votes, I find it unlikely to ever be prioritized.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29797

Thanks for asking. :)

This widget could not be displayed.
Ahmad Danial Atlassian Team Feb 17, 2014

Hey there, Jason.

I noticed that it has been a while since you receive any response here. Have you raised a ticket in the following link:

https://support.atlassian.com

You will be able seek help from the support engineers regarding the questions that you have here. If you have not, I would kindly suggest you to do so.

Hope this helps and all the best.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 3 hours ago in Statuspage

What are your best incident management tips and stories? #HugOps

👋Community members! Downtime happens. And great incident response takes a village. Teams like Support, Dev, SRE, Ops, IT, and Marketing have to come together to resolve the problem while keep...

19 views 0 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you