Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In confluence how to make users login with their email address rather than username

Prasad Pamidimukkala February 14, 2013

Would like to know if we can customize the login page so that the users can login to confluence using their email address rather than username.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2013

Hi Prasad,

May I know if you configure Confluence to integrate with your LDAP server? If that is the case, you could configure Confluence to acknowledge your user's e-mail address as the user-name by inputting e-mail address parameter as "User Name Attribute".

This way, Confluence will use the registered user's e-mail address as username to access Confluence.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Burkhard Buelte April 8, 2014

Yes, using "User Name Attribute" mail will allow user to login with email (with ldap enabled).

But it looks like sync with ldap is with above setting not longer working (also not if rdn is set to mail).

Has one had same problem and a solution for it ?

0 votes
Aviram Gabay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2016

Hi, 

I don't know if this is still relevant for anyone, but I've written a plugin that allows you to login with either you username or email in Confluence and JIRA Server

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.wikistrat.jira.email-login/server/overview

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.wikistrat.confluence.email-login/server/overview

I hope its what you need

Ryan Jacobs June 3, 2016

Aviram, thanks for exploring this via a 3rd party solution. We are currently evaluating the add-on you mentioned but have encountered a few issues (e.g. with the add-on email does work as username but the original username no longer does). That's off topic for this post but I'm still mentioning it here as the related support page (http://www.support.wikistrat.com/) is currently returning a 404. For those of us interested in the add on how can we interact more with the developers?

Aviram Gabay
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2016

Hi Ryan,

Its actually an email address support@wikistrat.com.

But feel free to email me directly at aviram@wikistrat.com for any questions/issues.

Cheers

0 votes
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2015

It would be useful if Confluence would accept multiple values for login: login name, email address or phone number. Users are used to logging in to other places with their email address so it would save confusion if I could enable multiple options to work.

Leila_Pearson April 8, 2015

I agree this would be nice. We do get tickets from time to time from people thinking their company credentials aren't working when really it is just that they entered their full email address instead of just their user name. Switching to use the email address would just result in people having trouble the other way around. Allowing for both options would be ideal.

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2015

Allowing only login names is especially a problem when you roll out HipChat as well, which does use an email address!

Or if they have Cloud + Server applications (similar to HipChat).

0 votes
Prasad Pamidimukkala February 25, 2013

Hi Septa,

Sorry for the delayed response. No we don't have a LDAP server. If that is the case we will setup the LDAP server and go with your solution.

Thanks,

Prasad.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events