Import sub tasks

Pangianto Pang September 26, 2012

Hi I have read from https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV#ImportingDatafromCSV-Creatingsub-tasks

of the steps to associate the sub tasks.

I want to ask that; can we input the Issue ID and Parent ID ourselves? can it be any thing as long as it a match of issue and sub tasks (so that we can utilize the issue key)?

Thanks for clarification.

1 answer

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

The fields aren't for the Jira issue key / ID. it's an internal reference in the CSV file.... using the example in the doco....

IssueType, Summary, FixVersion, FixVersion, FixVersion, Component, Component, Issue ID, Parent ID, Reporter
Bug, "First issue", v1, , , Component1, , 1, , jbloggs
Bug, "Second issue", v2, , , Component1, Component2, 2, , fferdinando
Bug, "Third issue", v1, v2, v3, Component1, , 3, , fferdinando
Sub-task, "Fourth issue", v1, v2, , Component2, , , 2, jbloggs

The Sub-task becomes the sub-task of the "Second issue" bug.

You don't specify the issue key as being a "parent" e.g. JIRA-1. You have to let Jira decide what the actual issues are.

if you want to import a load a sub-tasks into an existing issue, I'd set your CSV file to import and create on parent holding issue. Then once they are in Jira, do a Issue Move to the intended parent issue

Suggest an answer