If we modify the source code for an Atlassian product, will we still be eligible for updates?

Office Alias October 14, 2012

If we purchase a downloaded license for Atlassian products, we are provided the source code, and 12 months of free updates & maintenance.

If we modify the source code in order to customize these products, will we still be able to get product updates?

Are these updates likely to break our products because of our customizations?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2012

You will need to reapply your changes on each upgrade. The upgrade process will tell you which files have been modified. It is definitely a headache if you have a large number of changes. A small number of changes is still just a pain. I have changes to css and to email templates and I do not like applying them, especially when they do not work anymore.

Office Alias October 14, 2012

so the update will erase our modifcations? will it erase our settings/configuration as well?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2012

Yes, it will wipe out your modifications - there's no way an upgrade process can know what you've done to any files, and all an upgrade is, is new versions of files, which will overwrite what you've done.

I keep all the modifications in source control, so our upgrades are a doddle - download new war, get changes from source control, rebuild war and install it (obviously, testing each of our changes still work).

As Norman says though, core changes are a last resort - try to do it with config, plugins etc, less fuss on upgrade.

Your data will be carried over fine, as long as you have not changed the core of the database.

1 vote
Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2012

Use methods described in this blog from former maintainer of biggest public Confluence installation wikis.sun.com Igor Minar. I am using it succesfully on Atlassian products for several years with slight modification - using rebase for reapplying patches explained by Steve Losh.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events