If Stash triggers Bamboo, why does bamboo complain if stash is down while doing system backups. If stash is down it cannot sned triggers to bamboo and thus bamboo should have no need to talk to stash if no builds are only triggered by bamboo

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Integrating Bamboo with Stash

Ask your question here...

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
1 vote

Hello Naam Van,

Thank you for your inquire.

Even though Stash has been delegated to trigger builds in Bamboo when a repository change happens, Bamboo from time-to-time ping Stash to check if the application link still working, this is a safe-measure as if application links stop working Bamboo automatically poll for repository changes against Stash.

When Stash is in maintenance mode, Bamboo things that the application link communication has broken, consequently, the above starts happening. The issue you are describing has already been reported and can be found in here:

If you find this answer useful, I would kindly ask you to accept it so the same will be visible to others who might be facing the same issue you have inquired.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

Hi, may i suggest the following, instead of exposing error messages to end users each time this fails, why not have an icon next to each plan to indicate if Bamboo is Currently able to connect to Stash and is in sync, and if you click on the icon, you can get a history of when/if Bamboo was unable to connect to Stash and when/if it was out of sync. That way the user will be aware of the impact if the condition is active at a point in  time, but if currently Bamboo is able to talk to Stash and is in sync then there is no problem. The assumption being that even though Bamboo could not talk to Stash earlier, but can talk to Stash now, that Bamboo is up to date at this point in time. This is thus a transient problem.

Another solution would be to clear the errors if the condition disappears but this will thus also "hide" the fact that it happened.

If Bamboo re-establish connections to Stash and is able to determine that the failure to connect was valid(Stash was unavailable) then should this not be treated differently from the scenario where Bamboo upon re-connection determines that it should have been able to talk to stash?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

120 views 6 8
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you