IDE Connector for Eclipse + TFS. How to automate commit messages?

M K March 27, 2012

Hi All!

I'm trying to integrate Eclipse 3.7.2, Jira with IDE Connector and TFS 2010 as version control system. I'm using Visual Studio team explorer everywhere 2010 for integration between Eclipse and TFS.

I need to fill check in comments automatically with jira issue code I have been working for.

Is there a way to implement this?

1 answer

0 votes
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2012

Hi,

That's a part of Mylyn framework and should work out of the box. Check if your "change set management" is on and set your commit message template at Window | Preferences | Mylyn | Team.

You must also remember to activate the task/issue while you are working on the code.

Cheers,

Jacek

M K April 3, 2012

Hi Jacek!

Thank you for the reply.

It seems, that this functional works fine with cvs and svn but not with TFS :( My preferences: Change Set Management/Automatically create and manage with task context is checked, Comit Template message is filled with ${task.status} ${connector.task.prefix} ${tak.key}: ${task.description} ${task.url}

I choose task in Task List and press "Start work in Jira and activate task" button.

After that I change the source code and press Pending changes/check in button.

All Comments in TFS history are empty. Maybe I do something wrong?

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2012

Comments history may be empty but the actual commit message should be filled correctly. Indeed it looks like it does not work for TFS.

I would suggest to report a bug for Mylyn at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi

One more thing is that it should work with simple 'activate task' functionality as well as 'start work' available for JIRA tasks. 'start work' not only activates task but also changes issue state on the JIRA side.

Cheers,

Jacek

Suggest an answer