How to switch from developer SEN to ProductionSEN

Rick Waring December 19, 2013

I had to restore my production Confluence v5.3 to my Developer machine, and I need to know how to change the SEN number - I can see my license keys - but the "developer" platform has an SEN-L**** number - and I woudl liek to switch that os I can use my production keys -- I see where to put the key - but can't figure out how to change teh SEN entry - Can you help? thank you in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rick Waring December 29, 2013

Thank you - but maybe I didn't explain my situation very well -- I had a production server in service, and had configured a separate developer platform for testin purposes (Atlassian upgrades, etc.) All was going well until my production machine died unexpectedly. I had copies of my nightly Confleunce backups, and was hoping to restore to my developer platform to reduce the downtime. I will eventually obtain a replacement server and had planned to deply the new replacement server as my new developer server. My JIRA instance (also on that machine) was restored without incident, but Confluence was restored using the original developer SEN and license, and I did not see a way to revert to the original "production" configuration. I am not trying to create two production environments, just trying to take advantage of the "already built" developer platform.

I ended up implementing a work-around, but I would like to better understand why my JIRA restore allowed me to use the previous key while Confluence did not.. and if thee are any steps I should take to prevent this in the future

Thank you!

Rick Waring December 30, 2013

Thank you - yes - I used the nightly XML backup and just did a restore to the development platform - I was expecting something similar to the JIRA restore option to "maintain" or "change" the SEN/license information on restore, but never saw it in Confluence. The restore went well - except that on restart - it still had the original development license info - If I shoudl have done something differently - please let me know so I can do it properly the next time - thanks!

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 30, 2013

Sorry to hear that your production instance died earlier. :(

What steps you took to restore your production backup? Did you restore the XML backup through backup & restore option in administration? or Installation Wizard or database dump?

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 30, 2013

Made a mistake earlier. The difference between JIRA and Confluence is JIRA stored the license hash in the entities.xml/database which Confluence didn't. Confluence stored the license hash in the confluence.cfg.xml where you can find in Confluence Home through the line named confluence.license.hash.

You can input your production license from MAC to your Confluence and the SEN should reflect according as it bound to the license. In addition, just in case you want to switch the server id to the one mapped to your production license: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+to+Change+the+Server+ID+of+Confluence

Rick Waring December 30, 2013

Great- thank you - that was pretty much what I ended up doing for my original work-around, just wanted to see if there was a better method -- but this is great information. thank you for your help - I thin this is all I need for the moment - have a Happy New Year!

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
December 30, 2013

You're welcome. Have a great day and Happy New Year! :)

0 votes
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
December 26, 2013

Is the new Developer Machine will be set up as a new production Confluence? If so, you would need to purchase a new commercial license for the Confluence in developer machine.

FYI, the SEN comes together with the license itself and there's no way to edit it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events