How to setup test management system in Atlassian On Demand

sharad srivastava September 26, 2012

I want to do following in Atlassian on demand:

1. Create a test management system.

2. Create test cases.

3. Execute test cases.

4. Create test report

If someone can tell me how to do this in Atlassian on demand.

Thanks in advance

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

Hi Sharad,

I'm sorry to say that your options for test case management are limited in OnDemand due to our OnDemand Plugin Policy, but I believe that the preferred method for test case management is to integrate your OnDemand instance with Zephyr using the bundled plugin: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Connecting+Zephyr+with+JIRA+OnDemand

All the best,
John

0 votes
William Echlin September 27, 2012

The trouble with the "something that needs dealing with" approach is that once it's done it's done. Tests and QA don't fit that process flow. Once a test is writen it's "done once", "done twice", etc. Or rather it's run once, run twice.

So you essentially have this one test to many results mapping. Then you add in the complixities of having different versions of the same test, run against different configurations and different versions. At this point the jira (or rather defect workflow) approach doesn't lend itself well to that model.

So you can either try and fit a square peg in a round hole (Jira doing test management) or find a test management tool that integrates with Jira.

I really would recommend the second approach.

Hope that helps.

Bill Echlin

www.TestManagement.com

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2012

Yes, that's a big weakness in trying to use Jira to do test management - I think the model of "a test needs to be run" works, because each test is an issue.

But there's no useful linkage between the tests if you run them many times, there's no real templating or repeating facilities, and no real way to do "define a test once and run it many times". I mean, if I've got a generalised test like "check the date ranges going into the software generate the correct time information in the report", then I can raise an issue in Jira for each release of the software into the test system. But there's no easy "already got the data, just need to apply it to new release" and finding the outcomes of all the times I've run the test is a bit of a pain.

Hence me waving at Zephyr - that's better at the test management stuff I've described than Jira and there's a plugin for OnDemand. If you want to use other stuff, you're a bit stuck as OnDemand doesn't do much integration for anything else.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2012

Well, OnDemand is a suite of software that you can do this sort of thing with, but it doesn't contain software that tries to sell itself as "test management".

It's more than possible to use Jira to do Test management (mainly because a test is basically "something that needs dealing with" and that's what Jira does - you just treat tests as another type of thing that needs doing). A lot of Test managers need/want more than this and usually end up making Jira talk to other test management suites.

Personally, I'd look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Atlassian+OnDemand+Plugin+Policy as that tells you what OnDemand is limited to, and specifically look at the bits called "Zephyr" and "Bonfire"...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events