How to migrate from hosted to standalone+LDAP

José María Blázquez November 30, 2011

Hi,

we have a hosted instance and want to migrate it to a standalone one where we will user our LDAP directory. The problem is we don't exactly how to proceed in terms of users. If we export data from the hosted to the standalone, users will be added to the internal jira directory of the latter, right? In this case, I guess we should move the stuff of the users in the internal directory to users in LDAP, which, afaik, implies that usernames in both directories should be different, right? The problem is that most of the users in our current Jira instance has the same username that in LDAP. So, is there an easier way of solving this?

Thank you,

José M.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2011

Actually, you can have the same user name on both the directories. And you can also specify which directory has the priority.

I haven't tested this before but I assume if would be fine. You can import the data into a test instance, create a new directory that connects to LDAP, move the LDAP directory above the internal directory and things should be fine. Test it first ;)

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2011
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2011

That what I did in the past (when migrating users to LDAP/AD) too and it worked for me

Actually I strongly advise for having exactly the same usernames in LDAP as you had in JIRA - you will face the least pain. Otherwise be prepared for manual migration of usernames to match new LDAP ones (aka XML or DB hacking).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events