How to manage roles in Jira

Yasmine Rifai December 17, 2013

Hello,

I am new to Jira, I want to know how to configure roles as Dev, QA, Product owners, and how to assign each step to the corresponding role.

Best,

Yasmine

1 answer

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2013

You may decide to have different project roles for different stakeholders say Developers, QA, however important thing is to decide how would these project roles vary in terms of permissions they have.

JIRA out of the box you cannot assign an issue to a project role member. What you can do is that for each of the transitions on your workflow, you can present a assignee field so the transitioner can then assign it to the respective member whom he wants to assign the issue to

Rahul

Yasmine Rifai December 19, 2013

where I can find o configure the assignee field?

Yasmine Rifai December 19, 2013

yep thats wat i need but i need more details to know exactly how to and where i can find, cz i still dnt know much about the screens , permissions etc... I need as u said, the field to be only showing to people ou can present a assignee field so the transitioner can then assign it to the respective member whom he wants to assign the issue to

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2013

What do you mean by "configure" the field?

• It offers the user a list of users determined by them having the "can be assigned issues" permission in the project
  • To determine where it appears, you edit the screens in Jira
  • The field will only be available to people who have the "can assign issues" permission in the project

Other than that, I'm afraid I need to know what you mean by "configure" in a bit more detail.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2013

Start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screensfor fields and screens.

For the stuff about assignable/can-assign, look to the left of that page for the help with "permissions"

Suggest an answer