How to inactive internal users in bulk?

Mikhail T January 31, 2014

Our regular Jira (and Confluence) users all come from the Active Directory. However, when a person leaves the compan (and disappears from corporate AD), we create an account in the internal directory and mark them inactive. That's the theory, but in practice a number of users linger in the internal directory while remaining "active"...

Can we mark all users currently in the internal directory as inactive somehow? Or do we have to do one at a time? Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2014

Are you running Jira/Confluence in OnDemand or are you hosting yourself?

Self-hosted... I don't think, OnDemand can even integrate with the customer's Active Directory, can they?

J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2014

Just asking to make sure...some folks think the OnDemand Crowd management is LDAP.

Jira (run through test first):

update cwd_user

set active = 0

where lower_user_name in ('')

Confluence:

update cwd_user

set active = 'F'

where lower_user_name in ('')

You can add additional constraints as well such as directory_id if you have multiple directories, or you want it to just apply to everything in one directory.

Make sure you exclude your admin user/s from any internal directory deactivations, otherwise you'll feel some pain.

Oh, but that's going through database... Yes, I know this method -- but a Jira restart is needed afterwards (because user info is cached by the app, I believe).

I was hoping for a way to do the same through the application... Is there anything? Thanks!

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2014

I use Script Runner in Jira a lot for bits. Hypothetically, you may be able to do it that way. Jamie built one for Confluence as well, but I haven't used it. You'd have to develop your own script for that as I don't have one handy for what you are looking to do.

Otherwise, you are doing them one at a time or through the database. There maybe other plugins, but you'd have to take a look for them.

Suggest an answer