How to go from Backlog to Open?

For some reason one of My projects has all its items marked as Backlog? They used to be Open/Closed etc I can't find any way to change from Backlog to Open or Closed etc the only options are In Progress or Done? Any ideas?

Thanks

Bill

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

Sounds like your project has had its workflow scheme changed.

I'd start with a look at the workflow in use for one of the issues (there's usually a "view workflow" under the issue - ask your admins if not) and also look at the history of the issue because that should show a wrkflow change!

Hi Nic,

Yes your right the Main project was using Agile Simplified Workflow ..all the other projects are using Classic. I swapped it to classic and all is good again.

Thanks

Bill

You'll need to provide more info to get the best answers, but it sounds like you're using Jira and the Jira project in question has a workflow that contains a status called "Backlog" (as well as Open, Closed, etc) and you're not able to move issues from the "Backlog" status to other statuses.

If I'm right so far, there are a few possibilities:

• Your workflow doesn't have a transition between the statuses in question. You'd need your Jira administrator to add them for you.
  • The transition(s) are there, but they have a "condition" that is not being met and therefore the workflow button isn't being displayed. Your Jira admin can explain how the workflow is set up and what you'll need to do to meet that condition. It's common to set an "assignee only" condition on workflow transitions, so you might try assigning the issue to yourself to see if the buttons show up.
  • Your user does not have permission to run workflow transitions in the project. Your Jira admin can help you with this.
  • You're using a Jira Agile board and the columns are not set up correctly. The owner of the board can fix this.

I'm sure there are other possibilities, but that will hopefully point you in the right direction. If you can provide more details about the project, we can probably help you more. If this project is set up to allow you to "view read-only workflow," you'll see a link next to the status of the issue called "View Workflow." If you click that, you'll see a picture that shows the workflow diagram with all available transitions. This might be useful in troubleshooting if the permissions to view the workflow have been granted to you. I hope that helps.

Thanks Dave this helped me better understand Workflows and find the problem.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

308 views 4 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you