How to get rid of Component description

VenugopalY January 29, 2013

Hi Support,

I want to clear Description message Start typing to get a list of possible matches or press down to select. for component field.

Please let me know how to make this.

Venu

3 answers

1 vote
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

You can modify the description for Components inside the file JiraWebActionSupport.properties located under the <JIRA_INSTALL>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/jira/web/action directory.

1. Shut down JIRA
  2. Find the below section in the JIRAWebActionSupport.properties file
  3. Change the description
  4. Restart JIRA

Check if the changes are reflecting now. Also you may like to go through this link

# Generic
generic.picker.static.desc = Start typing to get a list of possible matches or press down to select.

Alternatively, if still the changes are not reflecting, you need to

1. Backup the atlassian-bundled-plugins.zip located under <JIRA_INSTALL>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/ folder
  2. Unzip the atlassian-bundled-plugins.zip
  3. You can see the jars named - jira-languages-5.0-en_UK.jar / jira-languages-5.0-en_US.jar , based on the language JIRA is using unzip the jar.
  4. Look for the file JiraWebActionSupport.properties file
  5. Do the modifications for the Component description
  6. Package the jar
  7. Zip the atlassian-bundled.zip again with the modified .jar file for JiraWebActionSupport.properties file
  8. Overwrite the original atlassian-bundled.zip with the new atlassian-bundled.zip file

NOTE:You need to keep track of such changes during the future upgrades.

1 vote
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2013

Hey there, Venugopal.

Seems like the feature that you would like to remove is a standard default feature for JIRA itself. Have you considered the approach from the Atlassian Experts to assist you with this? In addition to that, is there any particular reason on why you would like to remove the description of the Component field?

One of the alternatives that you can consider is to change the renderer of the Component field from the Autocomplete Renderer to the Select List Renderer. See how it goes for you.

Warm regards,

Danial

Andrew Snyder April 15, 2016

In response to the question, "is there any particular reason on why you would like to remove the description of the Component field?", while I cannot respond for Venugopal, here is my opinion.

Some descriptions are quite helpful, such as "Story Points - Measurement of complexity and/or size of a requirement".  However, some descriptions are self-explanatory, and not worth the additional clutter that they add to the Create screen, such as "Sprint - JIRA Software sprint field".

As new fields are added & removed over time to accommodate the various lessons that our company has learned, it is dangerously easy to end up with a cluttered, messy Create screen that includes more fields than is necessary.  I am always looking for ways to keep that screen  as simple as possible.  Removing descriptions that are not adding value is one way to do this.  Arguably the description for Component - "Start typing to get a list of possible matches or press down to select.", is not adding value.  I assume that is why Venugopal is asking for a method to remove it.  

I received a request yesterday from a JIRA user that I work with asking if there was any way that I could help him remove the description from a few fields for the reasons described above.

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Or you can hide it using javascript/jquery . You will need to paste this in the description of the components field.

Suggest an answer