How to find a Jira by a keyword in Summary field? Thanks!

liuna_liuna November 24, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Advanced searching - keywords reference

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Could you please help check how to find a Jira by a keyword in Summary field? The keyword is not at the beginning position of Summary, so the following searching criteria doesn't work:

Summary ~ "*translation"

Many Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Na Liu

2 answers

1 vote
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016
liuna_liuna November 24, 2016

Many Thanks Vasiliy for your help to check this! Really appreciated.

Sorry I didn't put the question clear just now. The searching criteria which didn't work is as below:

Summary ~ "*translation"

from the doucment: You cannot use a * or ? symbol as the first character of a search. 

I've updated the original question too. Because the keyword "translation" is not at the beginning position. Any idea?

Best Regards

Na Liu

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016

Oh, this is sad, but it is not possible in JIRA: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-6218?_ga=1.36909667.2119377251.1478066480

I use SQL to get such information. Here is for MS SQL 

Select	project.pkey + '-' + CAST(jiraissue.issuenum as varchar(20))
		, jiraissue.SUMMARY
from	jiraissue
		join project	on jiraissue.PROJECT = project.ID
where	jiraissue.SUMMARY like '%test%'
liuna_liuna November 29, 2016

Many Thanks Vasiliy for your help checked this and your SQL! A good practice for a DB admin of JIRA DB. :-D

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2016

Hi Na Liu,

Are you sure simply searching without any "*" doesn't give you what you want? When I do a similar search, it shows me issues where "translation" is anywhere in the summary. Like this:

issue-search-keyword.jpg

Is this not what you want?

Or do you want to exclude issues starting with "translation" from your results?

Sam

liuna_liuna November 29, 2016

Hi Sam,

Many Thanks for help checked this. "*" do give all the Jiras or I could filter to all issues under my name. Problem is there is a lot...a lot Jiras under my name, I'd prefer to get all issues which relate to "translation" only at one stroke. Then comes this question here. : -)

Best Regards

Na Liu

Suggest an answer