How to edit the email address of Original Sender ?

Thierry A July 4, 2012

I have been searching everywhere on Google and Atlassian documentation/FAQ, etc...

Sometimes a colleague receive a question by email from external user. He forward to our email jira@company.com, which is creating the ticket.

But the original sender is the colleague's email address.

When I close the issue, my colleague will get the notification. Not the external user.

Is there a way, when editing an issue, to also being able to edit the original sender's email address?

Is it done with a plug in? is it only a matter of configuration?

Thanks for your help

Thierry.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thierry A October 9, 2012

In the end, I found that we have our own plugin, retrieving the email address of the sender and using it.

It's something that was developped in-house and will have to be change, in an additional development task.

Not really possible by easy, on the JIRA itself...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2012

It's not really possible because Jira doesn't know what the senders email address is. Your colleague is getting the email because they are the one who raised the issue, not the external person.

To fix this, you need to capture the external email somehow, in the issue (not just as part of the description), and then find/write something that will send email to that email address alongside the usual notifications.

Thierry A July 4, 2012

Thanks for your answer!

But on top of my ticket, it seems that the email address is registered somewhere.

The original sender is identified by his email, then we get his name, his company, country, etc.

The problem is that I cannot open a ticket for a client, then just modify the email address.

I have to tell the client : "please, resend your request to jira@company.com , not to my personal email"

Which is confusing for the client and a duplicate...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2012

So it's capturing it somewhere. "on top of my ticket" doesn't tell us where. Could you tell us where the email is being captured?

Thierry A July 4, 2012

I am not really the developer in our company.

In fact, I was asking here, hoping there was an easy solution, just in the configuration. Hoping many users of Jira were able to edit this. (It seems to be a setting just in our Jira...)

As you can see in the screenshot, our Jira is capturing somewhere the email address, then link it to a database of our users to find the name, country, organiation/company, etc.

Nevermind, thanks Nic for your time and answers.

I guess it's not an easy box to click somewhere.

I won't be able to put my hand in the code or the deep configuration things...

Too bad, I'll have to wait a new developer to be hired.

Thanks again.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2012

So it's been modified to capture the user mail, that's good. But you still need a plugin to enable "send to aribitrary and insecure email address based on the content of a custom field".

The reason it's insecure is that Jira sends email to users, which are entities with permissions to see issues (it won't send mail about an issue to people who can't see it). If you enable a send to an email address instead of a user, there's no view security, so it's possible to send priviliged information to someone who doesn't have permission to see it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events