How to display custom fields from Resolution Screen on to Main screen after Issue to Resolved.

JASKIRAT DUGGAL January 9, 2013

We are creating a bunch of new Custom fields on different screens in the workflow , So here is what we need to know :

There are some mandatory fields on the Issue resolution screen which are related to Fix Information , without which an Issue cannot be resolved. These fields cannot be present in the Main screen at the time of Issue creation because first of all these are related to fix information , secondly as stated these are mandatory , if present in the Main screen it wouldn't allow to create an Issue if left blank.

So the requirement is this : After the issue is closed with the appropriate information in the Issue resolution Screen , all the fields in this screen should be visible on the Main screen in order to view the Fix details and also when we try to export the Issue details in a word format , these fields don't appear.

Request you to look into this on priority.

Thanks

8 answers

1 vote
Jim Anderson July 11, 2013

A couple of different ways this could be handled, one of which is using different screen configurations for the operations in the screen scheme. The operation "view" could use a screen that has these custom fields, while the screen for the "edit" operation does not. The fields would be visible (if data is entered) in the view issue function, but not visible if one edited the issue.

Another, and perhaps simpler way, woudl be to use the Jira Suite Uitlities add-on. With this add-on, you could add a validator to the Resolve transition that would require these fields on transition, and not have them set as "required" at the general level.

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

Highly recommend you to use this plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin

This plugin will tell you why you can't see you fields on screen and also help to to fix them.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2013

Todd, have you been using JIRA for very long? Just seems odd that you don't know what a view screen is. The view screen is the screen that is associated with the view function in a screen scheme (and then in an issue type screen scheme).

Once jduggal responded with whether or not the fields were on the view screen for the issue type he/she was using, and provided information on what custom fields he/she was using, I was going to provide information similar to what Jim mentions above with the JIRA Suite Utilities plugin (I just wanted to ensure that all the custom field types were valid targets for the plugin's functionality before suggesting something that might not work).

In any case, I'm glad that the two provided suggestions from Jim and Tim are acceptable for your situation; hopefully jduggal comes back to the forum in the future to try out one of the two answers suggested.

0 votes
Todd Trimmer July 11, 2013

I just came across the JSU a few minutes ago, which looks promising. Chin's mention of the Admin Helper also looks great for debugging similar issues. I just need to get to a newer version of JIRA that let's me play with both. Thanks!

0 votes
Todd Trimmer July 11, 2013

You haven't stated if you have added these fields to the "view" screen.

First of all, he already stated they are Custom Fields added by him to the Resolution Screen. YOU are the one who need to state what the heck you even mean by "view" screen.

The question is how can you view these Custom Fields on the Default Screen after the issue has been Resolved (or even Closed)? As he stated, one CANNOT add the required Custom Fields to the Default Screen, because they cannot possibly pass validation at Create Issue time.

Another way to look at it, I want a Custom Field:

1. Never required on the Default Screen
  2. Only visible on the Default Screen only if the Issue Status is Resolved or Closed
  3. Always visible on the Resolution Screen
  4. Always required on the Resolution Screen
0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2013

First, are you sure the fields are present in the affected "view" screen?

Second, can you specify what the fields are? And if they are custom fields, what type(s)?

0 votes
JASKIRAT DUGGAL January 9, 2013

These are new custom fields like Fix Type , Fix Comments , Defect Origin etc. type incuded from multi select , text area, select field , consider a mix of all. Also these fields are present on the Issue Resultion Screen. I wish to make them visible on the main screen after issue is resolved or closed.

Thanks.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2013

Hi,

You haven't stated if you have added these fields to the "view" screen.

Can you confirm if all the custom field types you are using came with the initial JIRA instal, or are any from a plugin?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events