How to deactivate the sprint change mail notifications from JIRA?

Andre Thum April 3, 2013

On a sprint change in JIRA for each task will be sent an email containing the following:

*User* update *Project*

How to deactivate this?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Marlon Aguiar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2013

Hi Andre,

I believe this is happening because of your project's notification scheme. You'll have to go to your respective JIRA Project and alter the Notification scheme not notify users when issues are updated. Check this documentation as it explains in detail how notification schemes work: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Marlon Aguiar

Brian K September 16, 2013

Marlon,

With the new release of JIRA Agile the "sprint" field officially became a "first class citizen" as Atlassian says, right? The only way to control emails in the project notification scheme is if an issue is updated... but is there a way to get down to the field level and say "do not send an email update when an issue is added to the next sprint" ?

Like leompeters likes this
C April 16, 2014

I agree with Brian. It's very annoying when JIRA generates a ton of emails just because issues have been added to a sprint. Turning off notifications for all updates is too drastic a solution.

Like # people like this
Nick Skinner May 12, 2014

I agree with Brian and Chris too. Very annoying to get Sprint emails.

Like leompeters likes this
C May 13, 2014

Nick and Brian,

I've managed to work around the issue by using bulk change. I use bulk change to set the sprint field to the value of the new sprint and suppress the emails via the bulk change suppression mechanism.

It's definitely a sub-optimal solution for two reasons. Firstly, during bulk change, the Sprint field doesn't seem to recognize the string name of the Sprint and, instead, must have the integer Sprint ID. It's difficult to get the numerical Sprint ID. Perform a Google search on "JIRA Agile Sprint ID" to get some suggestions. The second sub-optimal characteristic of my work around is that suppression of bulk-change emails requires project admin privileges on all projects which contain issue to be modified. I happen to have those privileges, so I can suppress the emails. Perhaps it's not a stretch to imagine that your sprint planners will also have project admin permissions but it's not ideal for sure.

Nick Skinner May 13, 2014

Nice work around. But I agree it is far from optimal and it wouldn't work for my group. I was shocked that sprint is not an email notification setting. For my group I am typically not the one adding issues to a sprint. We are using it in a Marketing setiing and have several product owners that each add their own issues to a single sprint. And these individuals are deciding what to add from the sprint planning mode in JIRA Agile. So knowing which issues to bulk change would be very diffiucult.

Karl Becker October 29, 2014

Desperately seeking this improvement.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Nick Skinner September 19, 2014

Stanislav I think this is the ticket you are looking for: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6395

0 votes
STANISLAV PRIKHODKO September 19, 2014

Atlassian, have you guys created a ticket for such enhancement that we can vote for?

Suggest an answer