How to automate Garbage collector in Jira 4.0??

Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2012

Hi All,

We have one Jira instance that is automatically going in to down state if the Memory is fully used by JVM,

So we need to restart that instace per day , when i go to "System Info" Option to my Jira instance i found that the Memory Graph is fully red and Free Memory is only 10 Mb then i need to force Garbage collector to free up some memory but this is not good, So pleasec can anyone tell me that How to automate garbage collector to run automatically in Jira??

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2012

Garbage Collector runs automatically in any JVM. That's the idea.

However, you can tune your JVM (this including increasing your heap size).

A good article is this one http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/gc-tuning-5-138395.html

Avdhesh Chauhan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2012

its ok Radu, but why my memory graph is used 100% by the Jira and why my Jira is going to down state??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2012

That's a complex question. It does sound like you need to do some memory tuning, but there's no way to tell why you're using all the memory without a LOT more detail. It's most likely to be that your installation is pretty close to being maxed out and you need to give it more working memory. But don't quote me on that, it really is a guess. We'd need to know your current memory parameters, version of Jira, details on how you are using it, version of java to get started.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2012

As Nic explained, the "why" question is hard to answer without more information. Describing the actions you took to resolve (temporary) your problem does not help us to give you a correct diagnosis. In other words, *you* must understand first what's going on there.

Suggest an answer