How do move a task created into an active sprint under a user story?

There are some task created in Jira that need to be moved into my active sprint, but when I try to use the "move" action, I do not have the option to move a task under a story. Is this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote
Timothy Chin Community Champion Jan 08, 2013

I am not sure if I got your question. I don't think you can categorize a task under a story. I would categorize them under an epic.

Also, you can just drag the task into the active sprint.

Actually, these are bugs when I looked closer. What is the typical practice on handling bugs in sprints when you can only create "sub-tasks" under a story?

If a developer creates a task accidentally than creating a sub-task under a story.. how do you correct it?

when you can only create "sub-tasks" under a story

A sub-task is not tied to any issue type.

If a developer creates a task accidentally than creating a sub-task under a story.. how do you correct it?

I believe that you use the "Convert to Sub-task" (source)

Bugs are usually created as sub-tasks and while creating sub-tasks under an issue that is planned for a sprint, it automatically appears below the parent task in the board. And like Timothy says, move them under the right parent task, if people make a mistake.

Is it possible to create a new "sub-task issue type as a "bug"?

You can't have two issue types with the same name whether a main or a sub-task.

Call it as "Sprint Bug" ;)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

76 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you