How do Notifications correnspond with Workflow transitions?

Hello,

I am wondering how certain Notifications like 'Work Started on Issue' and 'Work Stopped on Issue' translate to the transitions of workflows like 'Assigned', 'In Progress',...

Because I'm having a hard time figuring out, which Issue Event Template Sets in JEMH correspond to which actions our Support Workflow.

Regards

Sebastian 

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

By default, only the Generic Event is strictly related to a workflow transition.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA063/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme#CreatingaNotificationScheme-events

The doc is not very explicit on what constitutes a Work Started or Work Stopped event. As far as I can tell, these are never mapped by default when you create a transition. If you'd like to use them for specific transitions (like the default JIRA workflow does between "Open" and "Assigned"), you'll need to replace the Generic event with the Work Started event in the transition's post-functions.

In short, these are optional events that are mapped on the default workflow on selected transitions.

Andy Brook Community Champion Apr 20, 2015

What is driving the workflow transition? If you create custom events, your workflows can fire custom events that you can react to in JEMH. As answer below, Generic events aren't in themselves useful to JEMH.

Changes to an issue that update fields result in an ISSUE_UPDATED, changes driven by JEMH usually add comments, and can update fields, so are usually ISSUE_UPDATED, however, the most recent JEMH 1.7.x release allows you to map 'any' event with a comment to be a given event, eg ISSUE_UPDATED. to reduce custom template needs, only useful in some situs

What version of JEMH are you on (JEMH 1.7.x does things a little differently that means ISSUE_CREATED can be used, mostly, for create notifications instead of the historical custom event - limitations apply).

Thanks for the quick response guys. The Generic Events was what I was looking for. I don't need to heavily customize the default templates, I just wanted to modify the formatting a bit, which I was able to do.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

The 7 hacks of highly successful automation

...there's anything I've learnt from working, it's that people are lazy! No offense to anyone reading this, but it's true and we can all admit it. The easier you make something for someone, the more...

141 views 0 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you