How do I type text with brackets [ ] that does not link to another page?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Confluence Wiki Markup

How do I type text with brackets [ ] that does not link to another page? Eg, "LCM_BRIDGE[0]" should just be text, however I see "LCM_BRIDGE0" and the 0 is linking to another page.

To be specific, I am typing in the Description field in a JIRA Issue.

Also apologies Robert, I am unable to reply to you as I have reached my 24 hour limit to reply below.

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
2 votes
Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Jun 29, 2016

For JIRA to escape special characters, you need to put a \ in front of it.  Therefore, your text should look like this:

LCM_BRIDGE\[0\]

but once you save, it should show up properly.

You could try Undo (Ctrl-Z on Windows) after the autoconvert replaced the text with a link.

Note: On my installation I only have this problem if there is a space in front of the first bracket (Confluence 5.10). Otherwise the autoconvert does not take place.

It seems as though I can put LCM_BRIDGE[ 0] and the result does not have a link, however, now there is a space between the bracket and the 0. I was not able to get the Undo to work as suggested.

I tried it with the string you showed (no space) and then hit Ctrl-Z. This works on my machine.

(With the space comment in my answer I simply wanted to point out that my Confluence installation behaves differently smile - and there may be other issues I cannot reproduce).

Ok - sorry, I missed the point of editing in JIRA (was misguided by the "Confluence Markup" smile). Thanks for the clarification!

So I assume that Stephen provided the correct answer for JIRA.

Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Jun 30, 2016

No problem... I was a bit confused myself first reading the question wink

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

100 views 3 7
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you