How do I sort the backlog in the Agile screen

lachlanyates August 30, 2012

I think I must be doing something wrong here, because for the life of me I can't work out how to do it.

We've just upgraded to Greenhopper 6.0.1 and I'm using the new agile screens (can't remember the version we were on previously) .

Anyways, I have a backlog which is sorted by rank now, alll good, I like it.

But what I want, is for my backlog to have a sort order of rank, then date created descending. Seems like a pretty normal workflow to me, but for the life of me I can't work out how to get it done.

I've tried a number of permutatios of Quick Filters to no avail.

eg ORDER BY Rank ASC, key DESC

What am I doing wrong?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2012

Ranking is absolute (i.e all of the items are in a linked list one after another). Since no two items ever have the same rank the second "key DESC" would never have any effect.

Thanks,
Shaun

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2012

For what it's worth the rank naturally operates a bit like your discussing (i.e. new items go to the bottom so you can handle 'unranked' issues by looking at recent issues at the bottom).

Cheers,
Shaun

Fair enough. Thought I thought it would make sense to have items be unranked and then pick them from an unranked bucket and give them a ranking.

Seems like a lot of time will be spent on backlog grooming without it. Oh well.

Sure, just is a little odd, because all new items are generally going to go towards the top of the backlog, not the end.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2012

That kind of depends unfortunately, if people external to the team are adding items I'm sure you don't want them at the top. We hope to look at ways of making the initial rank of new issues more intuitive in the near future.

Thanks,
Shaun

1 vote
Dylan Tullberg September 17, 2013

Useful: If using Epics Jira Agile should offer the option to sort the backlog by Epic and Epic rank/hierarchy...

0 votes
James Rickards September 2, 2014

See my feature request to Atlassian and Vote for it.

"As a Product Owner, I want new PBIs quarantined from the Backlog until I rank them" 

https://jira.atlassian.com/i#browse/GHS-11139

Suggest an answer