How do I see my team's average velocity?

We have completed several sprints, all with different durations.

I cant see a report anywhere that will tell us what our average velocity is, calculated from our completed sprints.

Ideally we could see what our average velocity is, per day or week, and then we can improve how many story points we commit to in the next sprint duration.

I was expecting the Velocity Chart to provide this data. At the moment it doesnt seem to show much besides the committed and completed story points.

Cheers,

Menno

1 answer

Hi there!

This is currently not possible, but I've filed an improvement request at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7653 to have that functionality implemented in future releases. Make sure you vote for it to increase its visibility, and add yourself as a watcher to receive its updates.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I'm a bit surpised it doesnt do this yet, as I would have thought it's pretty useful for most teams.

Once you have this velocity metric, GreenHopper, when creating a sprint, could even give an estimate of how long a sprint should be given the number of story points you commit to.

This would be a good headsup to warn the team if you are overcommiting in the sprint.

I agree with you. As per the Velocity Chart documentation, you can calculate the average based on past sprints from the information displayed for each of them, but it would be really helpful to have that improvement implemented.

Cheers

The problem with using the velocity chart in that way is that it doesnt work if you have sprints of different durations. We ended up having to check each sprint individually first to work out the duration.

3 years later and this doesn't exist?  Or am I missing it?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

72 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you