How do I see my team's average velocity?

Menno Jansz February 13, 2013

We have completed several sprints, all with different durations.

I cant see a report anywhere that will tell us what our average velocity is, calculated from our completed sprints.

Ideally we could see what our average velocity is, per day or week, and then we can improve how many story points we commit to in the next sprint duration.

I was expecting the Velocity Chart to provide this data. At the moment it doesnt seem to show much besides the committed and completed story points.

Cheers,

Menno

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2013

Hi there!

This is currently not possible, but I've filed an improvement request at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7653 to have that functionality implemented in future releases. Make sure you vote for it to increase its visibility, and add yourself as a watcher to receive its updates.

Hope that helps.

Menno Jansz February 13, 2013

Thanks, I'm a bit surpised it doesnt do this yet, as I would have thought it's pretty useful for most teams.

Once you have this velocity metric, GreenHopper, when creating a sprint, could even give an estimate of how long a sprint should be given the number of story points you commit to.

This would be a good headsup to warn the team if you are overcommiting in the sprint.

Like # people like this
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2013

I agree with you. As per the Velocity Chart documentation, you can calculate the average based on past sprints from the information displayed for each of them, but it would be really helpful to have that improvement implemented.

Cheers

Like Amy J Luckette likes this
Menno Jansz February 14, 2013

The problem with using the velocity chart in that way is that it doesnt work if you have sprints of different durations. We ended up having to check each sprint individually first to work out the duration.

Doug Varn March 2, 2016

3 years later and this doesn't exist?  Or am I missing it?

Like Kyle Rebstock likes this
Big D July 24, 2018

And still doesn't exist? 

Like Kyle Rebstock likes this
3 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2018

Hello there,

The relevant feature request for Jira Software Cloud is now:

Please make sure to add a vote in order to help show the number of users who are interested in this feature. I would recommend that any feedback be placed on that thread where it can be seen by our development team!

In addition, a user has mentioned that as a workaround, he uses the Release Burndown Report. This report displays the velocity per Sprint and the remaining work.

I hope that helps!

Regards,

Shannon

Pundit Jitendra May 21, 2020

This is just a gimmick, Atlassian never implements such basic necessary functions. Their model if to let someone develop a plugin for this and sell it , you see win-win.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 10, 2020

Hello @Pundit Jitendra

Thank you for following-up on this. I had a look at the feature request. On the 7th of May, the Jira Server Team made an announcement that this feature is now available starting in Jira 8.9!

Once you're able to upgrade, give that a test, and let us know if you have any trouble.

Take care,

Shannon

DNIssueCollector June 18, 2020

Is it in cloud?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
June 19, 2020

Hi Kyle,

Sorry about the confusion! While the original Server request has been implemented, the Cloud request remains open at this time.

Just to have this organized in one place

Jira Cloud went through a number of changes recently, so the implementation for Jira Server won't be possible with Cloud just yet. We're currently working on a few more changes in our upcoming roadmap; so, while this particular feature is not yet on the horizon we are still gathering information on the popularity and usage of this feature in Cloud.

I recommend that you are watching the feature request I linked, so you can be alerted when that changes. Please comment on the feature with your input, since it can help us to understand how to implement this feature to best suit your needs.

Shannon

Like DNIssueCollector likes this
0 votes
DNIssueCollector January 9, 2020

Thought I'd throw in that this is available with Portfolio. Creating a Team and adding the sprint board as a source will allow you to average velocity for that team.

Suggest an answer