Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reclaim user Confluence On-Demand licenses after I disable a user?

Marc Dantona February 11, 2013

I have 16 allowed users with my Confluence On-Demand setup. I've disabled a user that is no longer using the tool and tried adding a different person from the 'Confluence Admin' > 'Users & Groups' > 'Users' section. After I disabled the user I tried to add a new user but the system tells me:

"This Confluence installation is not licensed for additional users.

• Users allowed by license: 16
  • Current active users: 16

If you would like to add users you will need to upgrade your Confluence license. (Upgrade pricing)

Please contact us if you have any questions."

Can anyone tell me how I can free this unused license up for the next person?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

It turns out that when using On-Demand, one will need to contact support for this action. Apparently, " the group cache needed to be flushed"

:-P

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2013

Oh, that's new. And a bit of a downgrade IMHO, as you really should be able to simply bin a user for yourself.

Thanks for letting us know, I'll have to scribble that down for next time!

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2013

Hi Marc,

This sounds like buggy behaviour to me. Could you let me know the support issue that this was handled in? I'll ensure that it is followed it up.

Marc Dantona February 12, 2013

Thanks @Michael!

JST-56362

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2013

Remove the deaded user from the group(s) that give them "can use" permission. You can see this in the Admin -> Global permissions section.

Thank you for taking the time to respond Nic. I tried that, but no dice. We have 14 users in our groups. :-/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2013

Ah, I forgot...

Adminstrative users automatically get "can log in" as well. Even if they're not in the users group, if they have system-admin rights, they count towards your licence overhead. (It does de-duplicate though - if "nic" is in confluence-users AND in confluence-administrators, I still only take up one seat).

I think Atlassian's system account also takes up 1 seat in OnDemand installs too, but you should only be paying for 15 licences.

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2013

The sysadmin user doesn't take a license seat, but the text on the page can be misleading.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events