How do I make users Administrators

Orion Cox June 16, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Add, edit and remove users

I need to allow my users to be admins.  There is not a way to do it on the edit user tab?

Thanks for the help!

2 answers

0 votes
Alan Tragarz June 16, 2016

How does this work for Confluence? My boss made me a Confluence Admin but I am unable to manage users. Do I need Sys Admin level privileges? Can there be more than one sys admin?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2016

Same basic concept for Confluence.  Confluence has a global permission list, which says "group X can do Y".  If you need admin rights, then you need to be added to a group that has them.  You can have as many admins as you need (but a standard recommendation is 3-10)

On Cloud, user maintenance is separated from the application admin.  You need to ask for user admin rights, not just be a Confluecne admin.

0 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2016

For Project Administration 

Move to Project -> Project Administration -> Users and Roles -> Add user to ADMINISTRATORS

For JIRA Administration

JIRA Administration -> User Management -> Groups -> Add Users to 'jiraadministrators' group.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2016

There's a couple of assumptions in that.

For project administrators, it assumes the permission scheme for that project says "Project admin: role (administrators)" - that is a default, but you may need to check, in case one of your admins has changed it to something else.

Similarly, for system admin, there's an assumption there that the group jiraadministrators is granted the global permission - check that section in admin (the default is for the jira-administrators group, not jiraadministrators)

Suggest an answer