How do I make a new user I have created get access to the information (projects, issues, etc)?

Gunnar Östberg June 16, 2014

How do I make a new user I have created get access to the information (projects, issues, etc)?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2014

You need to look at the permission schemes. They tell the projects who can do what (including see issues)

One you've read the permission scheme you should now have a grasp of the rules. Because they will say things like "Browse: role (users), role (developers" - that means any user OR group placed in the role in the project will get access

So then you need to go into the projects and add the right users and groups to the roles.

Your permissions are quite flat - person can log in = person can see everything. You'll need to make sure the "can log in group" is named in either every project (sensible) or you could explicitly name them in the permission schemes (Which is a monumental pain in the neck to unravel when you realise you didn't mean it)

I understand almost nothing of this.

Project Role Name "Users" use the Default Permission scheme which has all my projects associated.

The Default Permission Scheme looks ok, and it is the Project role "Project Role (Users)" or (in some cases the "Project Role (Developers)" with extended rights) I want all my users to have.

The Jira permission "Jira Users" looks ok and is connected to the group "jira_users".

The group "jira_users" has all my users as members.

So, if I only could connect "jira_users" to the Project Role Name "Users" it would work??? How do I do that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2014

The permission schemes give a Jira project rules about who can do things in the project. As you've just got one default permission scheme, that makes this a lot more simple.

You've given us most of the information we need in that comment, but the one most important thing is missing.

What does the permission scheme actually say for "Browse project"?

(Remember, this is NOT global permissions, which you have also given us details on, this is the permission scheme for the projects)

Gunnar Östberg June 17, 2014

Hi Nic, well, I haven't changed almost anything, I try to use the default Jira ondemand settings as much as possible, but it says:
Browse Projects - Ability to browse projects and the issues within them: Project Role (Users)

Is that what you mean?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2014

Yes.

So, now, you need to put the users you want to have access into the role of Users for *every* project.

The easiest way to do this is just add "jira users" group into the role

And then for the future, you can also edit the role and add "jira users" group as a default, so that new projects will automatically have it there when they are created.

I think I found it! (where to connect jira_users) At

Edit Permissions — Default Permission Scheme

Project Permissions: Browse projects - Operations Add

Add New Permission

Browse project connect Group to jira_users

Do you have a concept model or an information diagram for me to look at in order to understand your thinking behind this authority system? I am sure it is very powerful, but also complex to understand.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2014

Yes, that's the "explicitly name them in the permission scheme" I suggested earlier.

Which is simplistic and means you can't delegate user maintenance to project owners, and it's a pain to unpick if you don't really want it later. But it will do the job

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2014

I don't know that it really is that complex.

• A permission scheme says "here is a list of things you can do in a project" and for each one, then says "here are rules about how to decide if someone can do it"
  • You apply a permission scheme to a project
  • You make the users match the rules in the permission scheme to enable them to do something
  • The "who can do it" may make you think it's more complex, but when you read each line, it's not really that bad.
    • There are some simple rules like "User X" and "User is in group".
    • There are dynamic ones like Assignee, or Reporter
    • Then there are the more complex ones like "user is in role Y" - these are the most powerful and difficult, because they introduce another layer - you have to cross-reference it with the people in the roles in the project

One thing I find helps is to ignore the masses of possible things to do. Pick one (like "Can see project") and get that right first.

Thanks, I'll read everything written here for this "issue" again carefully, and then come back to you only if required. Again, many thanks. Here in Sweden, Europe it is high time to sleep by now (23:15), so Good Night!

0 votes

As I want the new users to access everything (all projects, and see all issues, and be ready to be assigned issues for any project), I guess I want all new users I create to get global permissions. But when I log in with my (admin) account and follow the instructions and set the Jira permission "Jira Users" to jira_users (the only group there is and to which all our users are connected (also the ones I have created) nothing happens. If I log in to our Jira as a newly created user I still don't see anything. I don't understand how to proceed.

0 votes
Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2014
0 votes
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2014

Hi Gunnar,

You need to give the user Project Permissions according to your needs (e.g. browse project / create issues, etc). You may either assign their permission directly on the project, or preferably using permission schemes.

The document below explains how you may achieve this:

Cheers,

Danilo

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events