How do I limit test sessions to specific projects?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2012

We create test sessions for our regression test effort. However, when I join a test session, any JIRA issue I log automatically gets associated with that test session. I work in several projects every day, but one only one is relevant to the session. But, all my issues that I log get associated with that session.

How do I use Bonfire and limit only specific issues to a test session?

Also, once an issue is associated with a test session, I cannot figure out how to remove that link since not all issues are actually relevant and it makes our test session statistics invalid. Does anyone know how to disassociate an issue with a test session?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
aprentice
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2012

Hi Kalynn,

Usually, people leave a session or complete a session when they move on to testing something else, which prevents issues from being associated with the wrong session. I assume that something (business process, bonfire somehow, etc.) is preventing you from doing the same. If you can explain what that is is, it'd help identify a solution.

Bonfire 2.5 added the capability to remove issues from a session. A cross mark appears when you hover over an issue in the "Issues Raised" section. Clicking that will disassociate the issue. Note this only appears for people with the necessary permission i.e. the person who created the issue, people who can be assigned to the session/issue or project admins.

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2012

I did locate the remove option at the bottom right - thanks!

In terms of our business case - we setup a test session for company-wide integration exploratory testing. Anyone in the company is able to test and report issues during integration as a way to get more eyes on the product, prior to our rollout.

Those same folks are also actively creating issues in other projects - whether they are working on backlogs/sprints for other teams or tasks associated with client implementations. Anytime they are doing the latter, they get associated with the test session vs when they actually log issues associated with integration.

In our case, all integration issues are associated with a specific project (based on the template). Thus, we only want those items associated with the test session - not everything else they are doing.

For me, it doesn't seem that i can leave a session because I am the one who set it up. If I pause or complete, it knocks everyone else out from it. So, I've been having to go in and remove all the other issues that I create. Since I am also a product owner, I work in the backlog quite a bit - thus, all of those are needing to be deleted. I also manage client implementations setup; every time I clone our golden contract issue, all of those are being associated with the session (this is where I end of deleting 41 issues associated with the test session every time I clone and set up a new client during integration - btw integration is 2 weeks).

aprentice
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2012

Typically sessions last an hour or two and rarely last longer than a day, so Bonfire hasn't focused on cases where sessions run for extended periods yet.

One workaround would be to create a new user (named something like "Integration test") and log in as that user to create and start the integration testing sessions. That way when you log in with your normal account, things are seperated.

Alternatively, don't create a session for integration testing, instead create a integration test template that adds the same label to issues and then filter on that label to view / report on all integaration issues. That way testers can use sessions for their other projects without needing to switch sessions to report integration issues.

Suggest an answer