It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I get the project import to recognize that the relevant fields are in fact available

I'm importing projects from one JIRA instance to another. Mostly it's going ok, ran into some minor problems like the guys running the new instance had modified the default workflow, so my statuses didn't match up when first attempting to import a project that used the default, but that was relatively easy to fix.

I'm having a problem now where I'm getting a message that a custom field labeled Email Address is in use by some issues that I'm trying to import, but that the field isn't available to those issue types in the new system. But on examining the new system, it does include an Email Address custom field, and that field is part of the Field Configurations and Screens in use by the target project in the new system. Since the error message I'm getting is basically flat out wrong, how do I go about fixing this discrepancy so that I can successfully migrate this project, as well as any others that run across a similar problem?

I'd add that this is a very time sensitive issue as our users are expecting to be able to get into their issues on Monday, so any help would be much appreciated.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

So I finally managed to figure out the problem was me, to a large degree. I don't know about the rest of you, but I tend to not see what's right in front of my face when I've been looking at the same thing over and over again...

So the hangups were mostly based on what I'd call typos. The largest incidence was of extraneous whitespace in names. For example, I was getting an error message stating that the status of 'Investigating ' didn't exist in the target system. What I saw in the target system was Investigating - it took me a while to see that I needed to check for a white space at the end of the status name. There were several discrepancies of this type between the systems, but adding or removing the whitespace as approrpriate fixed them.

Similarly, one field was named 'BCSE requested?' in the source system and 'BCSE Requested?' in the target system. Switching the capital R in requested to lower case fixed that problem.

So that was the problem, some typographical differences I failed to notice. I did suggest in my Atlassian support ticket that adding a comment to the import error message indicating capitalization and whitespaces were important to note might be a useful change.

Thanks for checking this out and considering the problem everyone.

See if the field is restricted to a project or issuetype. You cam limit fields to selected project or issuetypes under the custom field configuration.

As far as I can tell, the field configurations, screens, screen schemes and issue type screen schemes are all correctly configured as desired, and the permissions, roles and issue security are all set appropriately. I'm still stymied, but I appreciate your thoughts on this.

I'm still having problems with this import. I'm getting messages that fields, statuses and resolutions that clearly have been implemented in the target system don't exist. I have a ticket in with Atlassian on this but there's been no movement there for a couple of days. I did manage to fix a problem related to a link with some of the issues and import five of my eight outstanding projects, I just need to figure out the trouble with the last three to get them imported and move forward.

Still no luck getting the target system to recognize that the desired fields have been implemented. I found some problems with the Email Address not having a context set. Setting the context fixed the issue for that item. Thinking that might be related, I checked all the others, but no, they're set up correctly.

I'm really stymied on how to proceed with this. I've been looking to send as much information as possible to the Atlassian support staff, but I don't know what else I can do at this point. Fortunately only one of the projects currently having issues is of high importance, so we're no having our productivity significantly impacted. Unfortunately this thing is going to be a distraction until it's solved, which means all my other tasks are getting neglected.

Any help or thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published in Jira Align

Best Practices in Jira Align

Hello Jira Align customers! In order to better serve you on your journey with Jira Align, the Community team has worked with the Jira Align team to curate the content in this collection to better s...

68 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you