How do I add everyone with project administrator access in all projects to a new group?

We have created a new group with bulk change authority and we want to add all Project Admins to it. Is there a way to do this without having to manually add them one at a time?

3 answers

1 accepted

Just closing this out. I was able to run the query and then use excel to parse the users. I then copied and pasted them in to the new group. It took a little bit of manual work but the query to identify everyone was a big help. Thanks, Greg

0 vote
Jason Worley Atlassian Team Oct 09, 2013

The fastest way I know of would be as follows:

• Go to JIRA Admin > User Management
  • Select Groups
  • Click the Bulk Edit Group Members button
  • Select a Group from left hand side then click refresh the group members list just beneath
  • On the far right, for Add members to selected group(s), click the User Picker icon (lower right hand corner)
  • Select or search users from the User Picker

Hope this helps!

Jason, I see how to do that but it still requires manually adding a few hundred users that I have to identify ahead of time. The User picker does not show any details about the users other than being able to filter by group.

So I'm looking for a query or filter I can run to identify every user that is in a project admin role on any project since our intent is to only allow project admins the ability to do bulk edit.

Thanks, Greg

There isn't anything like this in the UI, you'll need to do some ugly SQL if you don't want to plugh through it by hand.

One hint, I hope that it will help you:

1. Prepare sql statement (I don't have time to prepare it now) to get users from administrator role in all projects. You have to cover two cases to get result:

a.) users entered directly in users column

select * FROM PROJECTROLEACTOR where projectroleid=10002 AND roletype='atlassian-user-role-actor';

(10002 is id for administrator role.)

b.) users entered in Groups column
to get groups..
select * FROM PROJECTROLEACTOR where projectroleid=10002 AND roletype='atlassian-group-role-actor';

You need connect groups from roletypeparameter field with groups in CWD_MEMBERSHIP table and with users in CWD_USER table...

2. Group users from both tables to get unique user values from both tables

3. Use jelly script to add users to groups

<JiraJelly xmlns:jira="jelly:com.atlassian.jira.jelly.JiraTagLib">
<jira:AddUserToGroup username="userX" group-name="new-group"/>
</JiraJelly>
You can use excel formulas to multiply sentence "<jira:AddUserToGroup username="userX"group-name="new-group"/>" and fill "userX" values with user values from your user table.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Uncategorized

Friday fun: how many celebrates Midsummer holiday or is this a Swedish tradition only?

Any other country that celebrates Midsummer holiday (this friday 22 June)?  

39 views 3 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you