How do I add a specific property to a status within a workflow

Venkat April 20, 2017

I have a status transitioning from 'Open' to 'waiting on the third party'. But waiting on third party could be 

1. waiting on customer

2. waiting on company 

How do I ensure that when the jira user clicks on 'waiting on 3rd part' he gets to choose who he is waiting on from the above two options ? what would the simplest way be ? 

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

Hi Venkat,

in my opinion, there are two possibilities without too much effort:

Branch your workflow

• Create two status: "waiting on customer" and "waiting on company"
  • From open, create two transitions: one to customer and the other to company
  • After branching, bring together these branches to one single status again

Create a custom field

• Create a custom field with two options:
    • customer
    • company
  • Put that field to the transition screen and make it mandatory, if you want
  • After leaving the waiting status, clear the field with a workflow function

Venkat April 20, 2017

Hi Thomas,Thanks for this .  

Thanks for this .  What do you mean by Put that field to the transition screen and make it mandatory, if you want . How can I do this ? 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2017

Hi Venkat,

when you design your workflow and create or edit a transition, you are able to add a "Transition View" to this transition.

A transition view is a screen that you have to define before using it in your workflow. You create screens in your admin section (Issues -> Screens). Create a Screen, name it "Wait for 3rd party" or so and put your custom field on that screen.

Do you have any plugins for your Jira? To make a field temporarily required you can use the Suite Utilities for Jira-Plugin. It is free and gives you a validator "Fields required" for your workflow step. This validator ensures, that the transition cannot be executed, if the field is not set. 

Venkat April 20, 2017

Thanks. How do I add the screen I created (one you suggested) to my workflow ? 

I have created the screen with my custom fields with options. The only thing remaining is adding it on my workflow so that the jira user is prompted with this. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2017
  • Edit your workflow in Text mode
  • Click on the transition
  • Click "Edit" on the top right corner
  • Change "Transition View" and click "Update"
  • Save your changes

Suggest an answer