How can I stop JIRA from auto-assigning the Assignee

I want to be able to move a agile ticket from Open to In Progress without changing the assignee. When I go to the workflow step, Start Progress, and look at the post functions, there does not appear to be any of the post functions that are assigning the logged in user as the assignee:

1. The Resolution of the issue will be cleared.
  2. Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
  3. Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
  4. Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
  5. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  6. Fire a Work Started On Issue event that can be processed by the listeners.

How can I keep the assigned user from changing?

7 answers

As Admin go in your Admin drop down menu to Issues.

Go to Workflows

Duplicate the default JIRA workflow

Click the (Start Progress) arrow going from OPEN to IN PROGRESS

Click on Post Functions

Remove "3. Assign the issue to the current user. Please note that the issue will only be assigned to the current user if the current user has the 'Assignable User' permission."

Add this to your Workflow to your projects

0 vote
Joe Pitt Community Champion May 25, 2014

There is an option in the grasshopper setup that will auto assign the issue to whoever moves it to the new status.

i looked and the setting is not checked.

Do you have the assignee field show up on the screen transition? If so, it might be getting set there if they assignee field is automatic and you have some rule to assign it to currentuser or something.

Hi Luther,

I dont have any option where I have selected auto assign issues in the workflow.

Hi Brian,

Even I have the same problem. I checked the Agile workflow post function and did not find any condition that will assign the issue to the user who drags the issue from to-do to In Progress state using Agile Board.

Even the Auto Assign option is unchecked in the JIRA Agile configuration. Anyone facing the same problem?

Has anyone figured out the answer to this?  I'm encountering the same issue.  The issue is auto-assigned to the current user when an issue is transitioned on the Agile work board even if the workflow is not specifically assigning a user.

I had exactly this same problem and was able to fix it by running the "Simplify Workflow" function on the board configuration.  Board->Configuration->Columns and click Simplify Workflow.

I'm new to Jira, so I don't know what other side effects this may have.

Just what I was looking for, thank you @Franco Scaramuzza!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

67 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you