How can I see the total hours planned for a Sprint

We do our sprint planning and estimate the hours for each Story subtask.

I seem to recall that at some point in the dim and distant past I could see a total for the number of hours estimated.

Did I dream that, or does it exist and I just can find where to get it?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Ahmad Danial Atlassian Team Feb 06, 2013

Hey there, George.

Are you referring to this? Correct me if I am wrong.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Sprint+Hour+Burndown+Charts#SprintHourBurndownCharts-SprintPlanningandInitialNumberofHours

Warm regards,

Danial

Nice charts. Too bad we can't get them too. All the chart gadget broke after a Greenhopper upgrade a few months ago.

But to answer your question, no. I am looking for something very simple: the total hours estimated for a sprint.

At the top of the "Plan" side of the board there is a points total, e.g. 61 points not starte, 24 points in progress, 10 points complete.

All I want at the start of the sprint is to know how many total hours as well as the total points. The sum of all the estimated hours in the story subtasks.

Thanks.

Yes, I can see the burndown chart in the "Report" section. It is in story points.

Original Estimate gives me crazy charts that make no sense.

And again, all I am looking for is a single number for use during sprint planning:

As we sit in our planning meeting we know how many stories are in the sprint and how many points. All I want is the total hours.

Hey there, George.

Actually those charts are available inside GreenHopper itself. If you are already utilizing the Rapid Board, you should be able to view the Burndown Chart when you click on the Report mode.

Since you mentioned that you are seeing values, I believe that you have configured your board to use Story Points. Perhaps you might want to configure your estimation to make use of Original Estimate and see how it goes for you?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking

p/s: Mind you that you can only choose either one of the estimation. Eg. you can't have original estimate AND story points at the same time.

Warm regards,

Danial

Hey there again, George.

As far as I am concerned, that is the limitation of GreenHopper unfortunately. Since you only can make use of a single estimation variable at a time, not both. Either you make use of the Original Estimate or you make use of Story Points, Business Values, or Issue Count. That is pretty much it.

Warm regards,

Danial

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted 10 hours ago in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

30 views 1 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you