How can I have SSO for for Jira and Confluence (on seperate servers) using LDAP?

Leslie Coleman August 5, 2014

Our Jira and Confluence are on two seperate Amazon servers. And we are using LDAP. My company wants to use SSO. Is there a tried and true method?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
TechTime Initiative Group August 6, 2014

Just hooking up to the same LDAP directory won't give you Single-Sign On experience - it will use the same user/password but will still ask you to login into each individual application.

Going with Crowd and setting up SSO-on-the-web i.e. between Confluence and JIRA by using Crowd as the authentication provider backed by LDAP will give you Single-Sign On - you will login once and then can switch between application without the need to login.

The way you describe it - it's not clear if LDAP is in Amazon or outside i.e. within your firewalled network. It's also not clear if you have Windows Domain infrastructure backing this all up. Assuming you do and that you can get access to LDAP server from Amazon - would you be able to access the domain controller as well?

If so, you can go with our NTLM Authenticator - we've been providing this solution for over 6 years to customers all over the world.

We have over 60 customers successfully using this solution in New Zealand, Australia, Switzerland, Finland, Norway, Sweeden, France, Germany, Netherlands, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Turkey, Russia, Latvia, the UK and the USA both in NTLMv2 and NTLMv1 environments with and without Crowd in the backend.

The NTLM Authenticator is delivered as a jar file and instructions how to deploy it to Atlassian Jira and/or Confluence to work in conjunction with IOPlex Jespa to perform NLTM authentication in Windows environment.

The cost is currently a one-off NZ$170 (plus fees for Jespa license payable to IOPlex). We do sell bundles that include IOPlex Jespa license.

If you need it, the trial version is available from our TurningRight website. Our NTLM Authenticators for Jira and Confluence support the latest versions of both applications.

0 votes
Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2014

There are 3 ways to do this that spring to mind:

Configure them both to use the same LDAP

Configure Confluence to be managed by JIRA and have JIRA use LDAP

Configure Crowd to use LDAP and use that for both JIRA and Confluence

Suggest an answer