• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Hi, we are using Jira for maintaining test cases, is there any option to import test cases from excel file to Jira. Please provide me some info regarding this as we have some 100 test cases and we are feeling tedeous to write those in jira directly

Hi, we are using Jira for maintaining test cases, is there any option to import test cases from excel file to Jira. Please provide me some info regarding this as we have some 100 test cases and we are feeling tedeous to write those in jira directly

Sreekanth June 30, 2016

Hi, we are using Jira for maintaining test cases, is there any option to import test cases from excel file to Jira. Please provide me some info regarding this as we have more test cases and we are feeling tedeous to write those in jira directly. Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2016

There's the CSV imports (and others), but the big question is how you are representing these test cases in JIRA - issues?  Add-ons that handle tests?  Something else?

Sreekanth July 1, 2016

As ours is a agile process, under each story we are planning to create test cases as sub tasks for Ex. if we have 100 test cases, we are planning to create 100 sub tasks under story.

I feel writing 100 or more test cases as a sub task is difficult, instead of this is there any change of importing all the test cases from excel to JIRA Ex: I will write all my test cases in excel and then I will import them in to JIRA so that JIRA will create all test cases as sub tasks.

If it is possible kindly let us know so that it is very helpful to us.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2016

Ok, create the excel with one line per intended issue and add a column for "parent issue".  The CSV importer can then import each line as a new sub-task under the named issues.

Pete Papadopoulos August 16, 2016

How about importing a test Step ?  There are spots for test cases under a test case?  You can import a test case, but I need the test step aligned to the Test Case itself.  Can that be done via an import or only manually to enter the test steps? 

Suggest an answer