Help in upgrade, no JIRA home directory

SS September 25, 2012

Our amazon instance of JIRA crashed and all we have is JIRA 4.4.3 database.

Can I upgrade JIRA to 5.1 with just the old database and no JIRA_HOME? If yes how?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
SS September 28, 2012

EDIT: Answering my own question, forgot to mention that ;)

It is actually a feedback system per se(We were using SOAP protocol in our application to capture it). We didn't collect any attachments so we were good to go.

I did a little bit of experimenting ;) (with help from jira support, they didn't ask me to use the latest 4.4.x)

• I downloaded 4.4.x latest version(4.4.5, I thought of using 5.1 directly but unsure of the after effects so just experimented with 4.4.x releases) of JIRA standalone (linux x64)
  • Extracted it
  • Created a empty JIRA_HOME
  • Edited <JIRA_INSTALL_DIR>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties to point to JIRA_HOME
  • Created a file named dbconfig.xml as described here with something like below(be sure to edit it)
    • &lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?&gt;

&lt;jira-database-config&gt;
        &lt;name&gt;defaultDS&lt;/name&gt;
        &lt;delegator-name&gt;default&lt;/delegator-name&gt;
        &lt;database-type&gt;mysql&lt;/database-type&gt;
        &lt;jdbc-datasource&gt;
          &lt;url&gt;jdbc:mysql://dbserver:3306/jiradb?useUnicode=true&amp;amp;characterEncoding=UTF8&amp;amp;sessionVariables=storage_engine=InnoDB&lt;/url&gt;
          &lt;driver-class&gt;com.mysql.jdbc.Driver&lt;/driver-class&gt;
          &lt;username&gt;jiradbuser&lt;/username&gt;
          &lt;password&gt;password&lt;/password&gt;
          &lt;pool-min-size&gt;20&lt;/pool-min-size&gt;
          &lt;pool-max-size&gt;20&lt;/pool-max-size&gt;
          &lt;pool-max-wait&gt;30000&lt;/pool-max-wait&gt;
          &lt;validation-query&gt;select 1&lt;/validation-query&gt;
          &lt;min-evictable-idle-time-millis&gt;60000&lt;/min-evictable-idle-time-millis&gt;
          &lt;time-between-eviction-runs-millis&gt;300000&lt;/time-between-eviction-runs-millis&gt;
          &lt;pool-max-idle&gt;20&lt;/pool-max-idle&gt;
          &lt;pool-remove-abandoned&gt;true&lt;/pool-remove-abandoned&gt;
          &lt;pool-remove-abandoned-timeout&gt;300&lt;/pool-remove-abandoned-timeout&gt;
          &lt;pool-test-while-idle&gt;true&lt;/pool-test-while-idle&gt;
          &lt;validation-query-timeout&gt;3&lt;/validation-query-timeout&gt;
        &lt;/jdbc-datasource&gt;
      &lt;/jira-database-config&gt;
  • Once the system started up I got a few warning messages and atlassian doing some upgrade process with the database.
  • Now I took a backup of JIRA(XML backup) available in admin console
  • I downloaded JIRA 5.1.5 standalone and edited the jira-application.properties to point to a new JIRA_HOME and a empty database
  • Got it up and running with the setup wizard
  • Restored using my backed up zip file(Referred to as XML backup)
  • Now we have a JIRA 5.1 running (Yay!!)
0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2012

Well, you're not in a happy place for sure, you have lost all attachments for starters, as well as any all plugins, I dont suppose you have an externally stored backup of JIRA_HOME? Are you sure you cant get at the disk image of the machine? I would hope you can get something out?

Attempting to leap to 5.1 is a bad idea. Setup a local JIRA 4.4.3 installation, once installed, shutdown JIRA, and restore a COPY of your prod database to the local instance. Start JIRA and stand well clear.

Once launched, reindex. I offer no guarantees but you should be able to see something.

Perhaps consider using a hosting company such that they will be responsible/accountable for future backups?

Once you have some kind of running 4.4.3 you could consider upgrading.

Suggest an answer