A task board with 83 issues takes around 25 seconds to render with IE8. Using Fiddler I can see that all the requests are completed within around 4 seconds, the rest of the time is IE rendering. CPU doesn't even seem to go up.
Other browsers display the page very soon after the last request.
I'm using GH 5.7.4 and jira 4.4.3. My question is, does this improve in IE8 in later GH versions?
Is there anything I can do? I had a whirl with dynaTrace but it's not really my thing. IE is not in compatibility mode if that makes a difference.
This is doing my head in... something seems badly wrong with IE8. Has anyone got an idea why it seems to just sit around for 7s before even executing the js... I would guess some antivirus but I disabled that:
I must apologize - the work we did in 5.8 only affects the Rapid Board, I've been speaking to one of the GH devs and the architecture of the Task Board precludes making the changes needed to get the rendering acceptable on IE8, and most of our work is now focussed on getting Scrum into the Rapid Board, at which point the Rapid Board should be a much better replacement for the Task Board. The only suggestion I can give you is to somehow limit the number of issues on the task board, we suggest a maximum of around 50, but ideally 20 for IE8 :-)
Since the Rapid Board is allowing vertical segmentation with swimlanes, it's optimised to show a larger number of issues on one page. With a good browser, you should be able to display 500 issues smoothly. IE8 performance is lower than that in the Rapid Board as well, mainly due to IE's reflow issues. Still, you shouldn't have problems displaying and transitioning on a board with 100 issues on IE8.
We have fixed this in GH 5.8 - there are a combination of things we have done - the subtask list is lazily loaded, we have disabled the scrollto capability for IE8 and done a lot of work in optimizing some of the really poor performers in IE8 - one that springs to mind is replacing the jQuery '#ghx-pool:visible' with a simple boolean flag. All in all the performance is vastly improved in GH5.8 and IE8
I'm sorry to say it's no better in GH 5.8.6. Requests are about 3-4 seconds on the wire, and then 18-20 seconds rendering time in IE8.
I even tried disabling the mcaffee script proxy but made no difference. How could I escalate this? I'll create a support request.
I created https://support.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-3867. Would be great to have someone familiar with this issue take it up, so I can avoid having to tell support that reindexing is not going to help in this case.
Unfortunately IE8 is the mandated browser so this is having a big impact on the perception of jira. Unfair, on all counts, but what can you do...
Yeah, you obviously don't work for a bank. I wouldn't let my dog use IE, but the practicalities of trying to change the browser strategy and get 60,000 users on Chrome are, maybe not insurmountable, but large. I am doing what I can in that area, but I think we also need GH optimised for IE.
Hey team! I'm Cameron Deatsch, Head of Server at Atlassian. I'll be hosting an AMA over in our Questions section of the Community next Monday, so shoot me your questions, upvote others' question...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs