Greenhopper task board slow as a very slow thing on IE8...

A task board with 83 issues takes around 25 seconds to render with IE8. Using Fiddler I can see that all the requests are completed within around 4 seconds, the rest of the time is IE rendering. CPU doesn't even seem to go up.

Other browsers display the page very soon after the last request.

I'm using GH 5.7.4 and jira 4.4.3. My question is, does this improve in IE8 in later GH versions?

Is there anything I can do? I had a whirl with dynaTrace but it's not really my thing. IE is not in compatibility mode if that makes a difference.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

This is doing my head in... something seems badly wrong with IE8. Has anyone got an idea why it seems to just sit around for 7s before even executing the js... I would guess some antivirus but I disabled that:

The above is with GH 5.8.6, although still jira 4.4.3 (AO plugins updated).

IMHO the problem is still as mentioned in one of your blogs: resizing...

Jamie

I must apologize - the work we did in 5.8 only affects the Rapid Board, I've been speaking to one of the GH devs and the architecture of the Task Board precludes making the changes needed to get the rendering acceptable on IE8, and most of our work is now focussed on getting Scrum into the Rapid Board, at which point the Rapid Board should be a much better replacement for the Task Board. The only suggestion I can give you is to somehow limit the number of issues on the task board, we suggest a maximum of around 50, but ideally 20 for IE8 :-)

Since the Rapid Board is allowing vertical segmentation with swimlanes, it's optimised to show a larger number of issues on one page. With a good browser, you should be able to display 500 issues smoothly. IE8 performance is lower than that in the Rapid Board as well, mainly due to IE's reflow issues. Still, you shouldn't have problems displaying and transitioning on a board with 100 issues on IE8.

OK, thanks @Alex, rock on rapid board then. @James, no problem.

Going to mark my own answer as correct then, in that, right now performance is expectedly bad in IE8.

0 vote

Jamie

We have fixed this in GH 5.8 - there are a combination of things we have done - the subtask list is lazily loaded, we have disabled the scrollto capability for IE8 and done a lot of work in optimizing some of the really poor performers in IE8 - one that springs to mind is replacing the jQuery '#ghx-pool:visible' with a simple boolean flag. All in all the performance is vastly improved in GH5.8 and IE8

That's good news. thanks James. I'll test 5.8 on a copy of production and compare, thought I'd ask before I went to the trouble of that step.

Will mark correct after a bit of testing...

I'm sorry to say it's no better in GH 5.8.6. Requests are about 3-4 seconds on the wire, and then 18-20 seconds rendering time in IE8.

I even tried disabling the mcaffee script proxy but made no difference. How could I escalate this? I'll create a support request.

I created https://support.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-3867. Would be great to have someone familiar with this issue take it up, so I can avoid having to tell support that reindexing is not going to help in this case.

Unfortunately IE8 is the mandated browser so this is having a big impact on the perception of jira. Unfair, on all counts, but what can you do...

IE8 has some very nasty performance issues with JS. It's not really a problem of Jira / GH, but an infrastructure one: get a decent browser.

Google: IE8 jQuery performance problems

=> 3.550.000 results

Yeah, you obviously don't work for a bank. I wouldn't let my dog use IE, but the practicalities of trying to change the browser strategy and get 60,000 users on Chrome are, maybe not insurmountable, but large. I am doing what I can in that area, but I think we also need GH optimised for IE.

IE9 solves a lot of problems. I know that changing the browser may not be an option ...

The next update to IE is a long time away where I work :-(

Apparently IE10 is supposed to be quite good.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Uncategorized

Friday fun: how many celebrates Midsummer holiday or is this a Swedish tradition only?

Any other country that celebrates Midsummer holiday (this friday 22 June)?  

45 views 3 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you