GreenHopper Sprint Report reports different story points than Burndown Chart

Tim Baker August 31, 2012

We have begun using the Rapid Board for our sprint planning and development. We have a type of issue called a workpackage that generally has sub-tasks. I noticed that on the Sprint Report, our workpackages don't show story points, yet the Burndown Chart shows the story points. I've checked the issues in the work tab of the Rapid Board, and they appear in the Done column, with story points visible. This appears to be a difference in the way the Sprint Report retrieves story points (they're not applied to the totals within each section of the report, either). In the Sprint Report, the story points appear as a hyphen, rather than a number.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Baker October 10, 2012

I provided this additional information to Atlassian Support:

the ticket was set to one of the "done" statuses without all sub-tasks being closed. Is this why it appears in one report, but not the other? Are the reports using slightly different queries, and therefore return different numbers?

This was the answer I received from Atlassian Support:

the burndown chart is going to include it because until it was moved to the next sprint, its hours were counted in this sprint. The Greenhopper team is working on this, so that in the future you would be able to move the issue and the time associated to the next sprint, but for the time being, it is working as intended.

0 votes
Theodore Tzidamis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2012

Hey Tim,

Also remember to check: There might be issues whose story points are not shown in the report. So do you think that there are issues whose story points were changed after they were added in the sprint?

0 votes
NikE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

It sounds like the custom fields are not present in all issue types/projects and/or the story point fields are restricted based on projects.

If you can make them all globally available and re-run the report, it should hopefully show the story point values.

Suggest an answer