Green Hopper on Demand-Setting up Version Hierarchy Relationship does not work

Rahul Choudhury November 2, 2011

Hi:

We are using Atlassian OnDemand. We follow an iterative development approach. It is crucial that inside GreenHopper we be able to assign an iteration number to each issue. From online discussion we found that the JIRA and GreenHopper really does not consider "Iteration" as a primary concept.

The workaround suggested in Atlassian forum is to create versions such as Version 1, Version 1 Iteration 1, Version 1 Iteration 2, Version 1 Iteration 3 etc in JIRA and then make the the "iteration" versions children of Version 1 in GreenHopper. This is really a poor workaround, however even that is not working for us.

The steps in your documentation are:

1. Log into JIRA.
  2. Click the 'Agile' link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar and select 'Planning Board' from the resulting dropdown menu. The 'Planning Board' will be displayed.
  3. Select your project from the project dropdown in the top navigation bar, if it is not already selected.
  4. Change the viewing mode to'Version' mode.
  5. Locate the box for the version that you want to be the child version in the right-hand column.
  6. Edit the 'Parent' field by clicking theicon which will appear when you hover over the field.
  7. Select the version that you want to be the parent version from the dropdown. The Planning Board will refresh and display your version under its new parent version (see screenshot below). The child version will also have anicon display in its header.

Step 6 and Step 7 are not doable. When I hover the mouse on the Parent field, the edit icon does not appear in GreenHopper. Please let us know how to address this issue.

P.S: I noticed inside GreenHopper General Configuration (accessed via Jira admin), it says "Hierarchy Plugin Not Installed".

2 answers

0 votes
Martin Scott March 21, 2012

I came across this question as I am also trying to address iterations within a version.

I was able to do this from the Planning Board for my project, there is an add button on the top right of the board lets me add a new iteration to a parent version. However I need to refresh the planning board before the iteration appears as in the list of versions when I click the edit icon on the issue card.

0 votes
K Diako November 17, 2011

I have exactly the same problem

Suggest an answer