Gliffy Diagram on another page with Edit option - It is possible?

Maciej Sz. April 16, 2014

What I want to achive?

I created a Gliffy diagram on one Page and I what to show the same Gliffy diagram on another page with Gliffy edit option (look screen below)

It is possible do this without using {include}/{excerpt}/{excerpt include} macros.

When I try copy/paste gliffy diagram in editor I recive below error.

FIRST SITE with Gliffy Diagram

Second Site I copy/paste gliffy diagram

When I save X page I recive

test = Name of Gliffy diagram on Conf Sandbox page

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
KatyK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2014

Hi Maciej,

If you want to use a Gliffy diagram as a template for another diagram (or "copy" it) you would want to follow the directions "Create a New Diagram Based on an Existing Diagram": http://www.gliffy.com/user-manual/?productId=1#article_75

If you do not want the diagram to be linked to the original, then you should NOT check the "Link to Original Diagram" box.

If you have further questions, please email support@gliffy.com.

Thanks,

Katy, Gliffy Support

Maciej Sz. April 18, 2014

Additional Question:

What this Link to Original Diagram do?

If I marked this option it means if I change something on new diagram this change will be copied to origincal diagram?

Maciej Sz. April 18, 2014

O I found answer on my question :) on the same site ;)

Insert an Existing Diagram

You can also insert an existing diagram into a new page without creating a new diagram. Note that, in the case of an inserted diagram, if you select the option to Link to Original Diagram, any changes will affect the original diagram and will be reflected anywhere that diagram appears. If you leave this unchecked, it will create a new diagram that is not tied to the original.

Super thx for help Katy

F__Trautwein April 9, 2020

year 2020. Bug or feature?
I have linked to the original diagram and have one and the same diagram shown on 2 different pages. There is only at the origin page the gliffy attachement. If I change the origin digram, the changes get reflected in the linked one. so far everything okay.

If I edit the diagram in the referenced one, the changes (new version) are stored in the origin gliffy attachement, BUT they do only get visible in the referenced page. The origin page still shows the previous version (although "latest" is set in the settings section of the gliffy macro).

If I change afterwards the diagram on the origin page it shows also the previous content and therefore I overwrite the changes done in the referenced page beforehand. :-(

Is this a bug or feature?

Camouflage December 13, 2021

1) Where do I find the ""Link to Original Diagram" box?
2) I've already copied from one Confluence page to another, and I see the option to "Unlink diagram" from the Gliffy menu, however, when I do so, I get an error ... "Diagram with this name exists in page". This doesn't make sense in this context. I know a diagram with this name exists in this page - I'm trying to unlink it from the original page which contained the same diagram when copied. How do I overcome this error?

Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2021

Hi there!

I think I just addressed this for you on your own question, but so that everyone has the answer, you can find details about this feature in our documentation here: https://help.gliffy.com/confluence/Content/GliffyConfluence/Inserting-existing-diagram.htm

This is an important feature to teams who need to ensure that their documentation is always up-to-date. Having outdated diagrams on less-checked pages can result in costly rework or confusion, so we find this to be a great capability for some of our largest customers. 

Hope this helps!

Samie

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2014

I think you need to copy the Gliffy diagram- page and use it that way in excerpt as I believe Confluence treats Gliffy diagram as a page with edit option.

But I do not want copy Gliffy Diagram :)

Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2014

Right. I think that is the only way you can do that if you are not using excerpt macro as if you try to copy and paste Gliffy diagram, Confluence will think you are referencing the page withing the same page. (or I still do not understand what you are trying to achieve :) )

You understand it... I will do it by include page or excerpt.. it is somekind of workaround...

I hope that that Gliffy macro can show gliffy pictures from other pages :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events