Formatting a numeric custom field

Brian Spence
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2013

I have created a custom numeric field, and it is displaying with a comma thousand separator (e.g. 1,234) and I'm wanting to format it to display without any separator (e.g. 1234).

Where / how can I do this?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2013

Hi Brian,

I am afraid that's not possible. I have created an improvement regarding this request being tracked at:

* JRA-34033

Please add yourself as a watcher to be notified of future updates.

Cheers,
Clarissa.

3 votes
Stephen Etheridge November 27, 2013

Yes, I'd appreciate this change.

In case it helps, here's our business motivation for wanting this:

I manage multiple bug tracking databases for a games development studio. We have custom fields to track the following information:

• Found In Revision (the numeric revision of the software version in which the bug has been found to occur)
  • Fixed In Revision (the numeric revision of the software version in which a fix for the bug was committed)

We use a numeric field as opposed to a text field for the following reasons:

• it's useful to be able to order filter results in numeric order
  • it's useful to be able to filter for an integer range (corresponding to a changelist)
  • it's a soft validation check that the correct information is being entered (value must be an integer)

So it would be nice to be able to distinguish between a field that is used for a numeric label (one-two-three) and a numeric quantity (one hundred and twenty three).

Even more ideally, I'd like to be able to only permit integers of a specific digit length. E.g. permit 12345 and 01234, but not 1234.

0 votes
Brian Spence
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2013

Currently to get around this I'm using a Text field to enter the numeric data.

Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2018

That will solve the problem with the delimiters but be advised that indexing a custom text field takes much longer than it would if the field would be numeric. So adding numerous custom text fields may slow down the overall performance of your JIRA instance by quite a bit.

Suggest an answer