For Salesforce dev, what advantage do synced Forks offer over just using a branching workflow?

Dreamforce Attendee November 5, 2014

1 answer

1 vote
Melanie Wright
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2014

Besides allowing us to manage the permissions and pull request config independently for production vs sandboxes, the main advantage is the automated fork syncing that Stash offers. 

The extent of the advantages vary depending on whether you have a branch per release vs feature-based releases via committing to master: 

Branch per Release

When I first started running automated deployments, I created a branch for each release. Stash's fork syncing would automatically propagate my new release branches down to my UAT and devsb repos - saved me from having to manually create a branch in each place. Changes in production to the metadata affected by a release could roll down to the same-named release branches in the forks, and each branch reflected the current state of the repo's corresponding instance.

Feature-based Releases

Now we do smaller feature-based releases, so the fork syncing benefits are simply that changes made to production can be automatically deployed downstream when there aren't any more recent commits in our sandboxes. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events