Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font, Font Size

Ohad Raz October 23, 2013

This is getting pretty frustrating.

All I want is to change the font and font size of some text in a page I created.

Cannot find the way to do so.

Nothing in the editor toolbar, no "{font}" macro, no "{style}" marco.

This is pretty basic.

What am I missing?

14 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

5 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2013

Ohad,

For Confluence follow these instructions :

Go to your Manage add-ons page in Confluence Administration

Select to see the System add-ons.

Search for the Confluence HTML Macros , open it by clicking on the arrow to the left of the name.

Enable the html (html-xhtml) and other modules you need.

That should do it.

Best regards,

Peter

Ohad Raz October 28, 2013

Yap, this is the one.

Thanks, Peter!

Rosi Rodrigues April 28, 2015

Hey Ohad, can you describe the step by step of how you did it? I'm stuck on this part.

Richard Cross April 29, 2015

This is a pretty basic feature - is there no other solution besides purchasing a commercial plugin?

Like # people like this
Michael Gould January 21, 2016

Yeah, the HTML macro isn't an option for a lot of firms because it opens up your system to the possibility of someone coding something malicious into your instance. The fact that you can't change font size and/or type while you're creating content in the GUI is utterly ridiculous.

Like # people like this
Paul Harding December 29, 2016

This plugin is paid!

Like # people like this
gordon bradley January 7, 2019

It's a valid recurring beef that Confluence users have to purchase plugins to do really. basic. stuff. No one will offer you a good enough reason why xyz functionality isn't implemented in Confluence. And as long as they're selling it hand over fist they have no incentive to improve any functionality.

Like # people like this
Corey_Tabb April 12, 2019

they have no incentive to add them because if a business really needs something it will pay for it the supply is not from confluence which I do agree is stupid that we have to buy the add ons but they know if we really need it we will just buy it which is a shame because they shouldn't drive there customers go elsewhere when it's something simple like this they could add.

Like # people like this
Casey Maynard April 12, 2019

Agreed.  Unfortunately it is difficult to find a better overall option.  No competitors have a better overall package (that I am aware of). Nor do any competitors take advantage of making the market aware of this inconvenience either (which they make not even be aware of).  And unfortunately we are 'locked in' to using what we have in place now as changing would take awhile, and would involve another 'learning something new'.  Had we known of the 'add-on' business model and its consequences, we may have opted to use Atlassian products differently.  The word that comes to mind is 'beholden'.  Not a great feeling I would want my customers to feel about my products ... sorry.  The only thing I can recommend is for Atlassian users to make upper management aware of your concerns.  As with many companies, it takes activity by its customer to make a change happen sooner than later.  I mean who REALLY needs a Capital C add-on? (inside joke btw).  Thanks for letting me rant.

Like # people like this
Corey_Tabb April 12, 2019

maybe the more rants we get the better Atlassian might add some of the basic Marcos that everyone could do with using there support is amazing can't take that away from them but their functionality. could do with more of basic functions added in that everyone would like.

Like # people like this
Manas Bhatnagar November 22, 2019

One font size ought to be enough for everybody.

Like Kevin Newby likes this
Stephanie Beach January 10, 2020

One font size is not enough.

Like # people like this
23 votes
Rosi Rodrigues April 28, 2015

Man, this confluence its definately not newbie proof. All I want is to change the font size of text in a page. Why is it so difficult?  

Vikram Seshadri July 24, 2015

Second this. Can't believe the hoops you have to jump through to do something as simple as change font size. Plus, if you're just a lowly user, you're SOL.

Like # people like this
Vikram Seshadri July 24, 2015

Plus, this question has been asked in 2013, and it's now 2015. How long does it take to get a font size option in the editor ?

Like # people like this
Diego Nunes August 31, 2017

About 4 years it seems...

I believe planning a world cup or maybe the olympics takes less work than implementing this, huh?

Like # people like this
Mehrshad Rafiei October 4, 2017

Yes it is very frustrating. Spending so much time for a simple 1980's feature.

Like # people like this
April Skomsky October 17, 2017

Very frustrating! When updating simple documents, it shouldn't be this hard. 

Like # people like this
Casey Maynard November 2, 2017

I have a running commentary about the lack of functionality for editing pages in Confluence....

Oh you want a Capital C?  Here is a link to a Capital C add-on, but I am now changing it to 'Want a bigger font'? Nope, not gonna happen.  Unfortunately until there is a better forum where the lack of functionality becomes an issue that Atlassian HAS to fix, I doubt there is anyone that will pay attention to simple requests such as 'Font' controls.

Like # people like this
April Skomsky November 3, 2017

It would also be nice for a few more user 101 video tutorials on quick access to setting things up. Most companies have to jump right in to get rolling, and there is very little out there.

Like # people like this
11 votes
Deleted user October 10, 2018

If you want to control the font size, you can use the Div macro:

• Click where you want to add formatted text
  • Click on: Insert more content > Other macros > Select macro > Formatting > Div
  • In the Styles field, enter your in-line CSS in (with or without quotes):
"font-size: 48px;" 
  • Click Preview
  • Add your text in the macro box
  • Click on Publish and your text will be formatted

Or, you can go crazy with the style box...

"background-color: #efefef; border-radius: 16px; border: 1px solid #666; font-size: 48px; line-height: 1.2; padding: 1rem 1.5rem;" 

Justin Rigsby January 15, 2019

I just tried this out. It works perfectly. Thank you so much!

Like John Dieter likes this
Kirk G April 9, 2019

I don't have a Div macro ...

Like # people like this
gordon bradley April 10, 2019

I want someone at Confluence to comment on how they don't provide the most basic, elementary functionalities--or ever plan to in the future--and then farm it out to plugin makers who charge for it. This is weaksauce, embarrassing and scandalous. EVERY Basic WYSIWYG editor has at LEAST all this functionality and more ffs.

Like # people like this
Dawnerin Wilkinson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2019

I don't have DIv as an option under Formatting either...

All I want to do is add "Style" and copy in my Charlie Font!

Like Cortlandt _ likes this
Peter Monteagudo August 13, 2019

Thank you !!  This helps me to control font size without having to use headings to do this which then cause problems with the table of contents.

AH December 5, 2019

@Dawnerin Wilkinson It's because you have to BUY the add-on that adds the Div macro...

Like Cortlandt _ likes this
9 votes
Noel McKeown December 7, 2018

2018 and still no easy way to change font size, the most basic of thing!

Have wasted about 20 mins trying to do this, resorted to using the 'Font Size' macro but its rubbish.

5 votes
G Bradley January 10, 2020

I am an expert Confluence user and doing administration at this stage.

• Confluence is, before anything else, a CMS and collaborative workflow platform.
  • Confluence has BRASS BALLS (hope you read this, Atlassian!) to sell itself as either of the above. Confluence is a huge scam on many levels!
  • To get even BASIC CMS functionality, we have had to buy Content Formatting Plugins by Adaptivist.
  • To get even base-level workflows, we have had to buy Comala Workflows.

Given the price, to be disingenuous and suggest that users buy a hobbled, incomplete CMS/collab workflow environment from Atlassian, then spend thousands MORE on features they couldn't bother to include/implement...

...I CANNOT believe the cheek of them. It's breathtaking in its audacity.

5 votes
Clinton Bradley December 1, 2015

I totally agree. How long is it going to take to get an editor with the most basic of necessary functions without having to use convoluted methods. Text size, background color, justified text, lists with bullets and numbering schemes that can be changed, font selection, superscript, subscript, columns that flow text etc., etc.. Man this stuff is super basic and should be in the editor already. Yes you can jump through HTML, CSS, macros and other hoops to do it but those are just super dumb and long winded ways to do basic text entry that should never interrupt the ability to just write and edit a bit of text content. It's also incredibly tough to convince regular people to use the incredibly limited editor features and they invariably end up writing content in external word processor applications and asking us IT guys to handle the formatting to make it look like their external doc. Please take this very seriously and get it together Atlasssian - Wordpress and other CMS platforms are way ahead of you in this regard.

4 votes
Rosi Rodrigues January 26, 2016

This lack of care creates a hateful feelings towards Jira. My company uses the solution but not everyone is a developer. If you guys want to sell JIRA Confluence and compete in the Project Management solutions industry, you guys should care to users that are not code-friendly and update an such necessary function. 

Peter Wake January 15, 2018

It's doubly annoying, because there used to be great features for control of font size back when they had a markup based system.

The "new" WYSIWIG (whether you like it or not) system is awful. It gets slower and slower and slower the more edits you make, and you have to save the page and re-open to fix it.

This would matter less if it wasn't only barely acceptable in responsiveness to start with.

It took away control, speed, flexibility, and made it impossible to simply cut and paste text to and from any editor without messed up formatting.

From the point-of-view of a regular user, Confluence hasn't gained a single useful feature in the last decade, but has only got slower, with valuable features taken away. It was fantastic back in 2008. Now, I'd just as soon pick Sharepoint -- yes, that's how far Confluence has fallen.

Atlassian, please, accept you were wrong, and that the motivations for the single editor (mainly xml storage of the document from what Atlassian wrote in their own documents) should not have led to this. Storage format shouldn't restrict what editor, or formatting system you can use.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Phillip Baker April 25, 2019

Probably kind of a lame workaround, but I was able to meet my need to control font size by using Gliffy. I created a diagram with a single text box containing the word/s that I needed to manipulate, and inserted it into my Confluence page. I configured the diagram to suppress the display of the toolbar so that the text appears native on the page.

For me there was an added bonus in that the text doesn't show up in a TOC

2 votes
Lachlan Young February 28, 2018

Its a bit limited but I often use markup to change my size.

Head to Insert -> Markup then select Markdown and you can then change the font size by doing something like # Hello World. The more # you have in front of your text the smaller it is.

It goes all the way up to six #'s.

Casey Maynard March 2, 2018

Most of the time I need something larger than the default # Hello World font size.  Can I make the font size larger (not smaller?)

Dennis T August 20, 2018

Actually adding # just converts them to headings. So this won’t allow you to change font sizes on the same line.

Like gordon bradley likes this
2 votes
Project Manager August 14, 2015

I just went to modify a page and spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to change the font.  This is the biggest idiocy I have ever seen!  Please tell me this is a freaking joke.

And  the addons referenced in this thread don't even exist any more, at least not under the names given in this thread.

1 vote
Aaron Palumbo April 1, 2020

I'm not sure if everyone has this, but in the top right corner of my page when I'm in edit mode I see `<>`, right between Find/Replace and Help. This brings you to an html source editor where you can add a <span style="font-size: 48px">Big Text</span> to the text you want to change.

1 vote
Deleted user January 26, 2015

I'm trying to do something similar using the Adaptavist {span} macro. But it's very hit or miss whether  it works or not*. It generally previews properly but only works sometimes with the following parameters

• ID - anything but not blank
  • class - wiki-content  (the documentation says you can define your own classes but I wasn't successful)
  • style - font-size:80%;

* is the moon full? are there secret characters in the markup? Who knows? Using "Cloud" nee "OnDemand"  and we're not allowed to look at the markup. Deleting the whole thing 3 or 4 times and re-entering it sometimes helps which makes me look suspiciously at the underlying markup. 

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2013

Hi Ohad,

This should help you out : https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/198044/turn-on-html-macro-in-jira-6-0

Best regards,

Peter

Hey Peter,

Thank you for your help.

I forwarded this link to the IT guys, and they have enabled it.

However, now, when trying to use it, I get the following error message:

Error rendering macro 'html' : Notify your Confluence administrator that "Bob Swift Software - HTML Plugin" requires a valid license. Reason: USER_MISMATCH

Any ideas?

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2013

Hi Ohad,

I think your IT guys installed the Bob Swift HTML plugin instead of enabling the macro that's already available in Jira 6.

Best regards,

Peter

they say they didn't install any Bob Swift HTML plugin.

THey say they just followed the instructions on:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/198044/turn-on-html-macro-in-jira-6-0

Will check with them...

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2013

Ohad,

I'm a bit confused, are you trying to install this into Jira or Confluence?

Because the first answer is aimed at Confluence and I gave you a link for Jira.

Just wondering.

Best regards,

Peter

My bad. I was not too clear about it...

It is Confluence (wiki).

Any different instructions?

S Irvine July 25, 2018

I can't do that since I don't have admin privileges, nor should I have to for such a basic functionality.

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2013

What about the HTML Macro?

It would need to be enabled by your system adminstrator.

Ohad Raz October 23, 2013

It is not enabled at our organization. Will talk to the IT guys...

Ohad Raz October 27, 2013

IT says that they found "how to install" HTML Macro for version 5.3. We're running version 6.

Is there no HTML Macro for version 6?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events