Followed install instructions for JIRA but can't get it to show in browser.

fuzzee February 9, 2013

I'm a lone developer who just purchased and downloaded a load of Atlassian tools for my own use on a single home PC. I am trying (and now given up after three hours or so) to follow the Dragons install path (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ATLAS/Dragons+Stage+1+-+Install+JIRA) but failed at stage 1 step 4: install JIRA. No matter what I try I can't get it to work. All instructions have been followed to the letter: all default install locations and all environment variables set up as shown. I have even tried new port settings and using a full Tomcat install instead of the bundled one. My PC runs windows 7 ultimate on a quad-core AMD Phenom 2 X2 840 CPU with 8GB RAM. I have the latest Java 7 JDK installed and latest PostgreSQL database running. I couldn't find anything in the help or forums so am turning to you as a last place of hope. Can you help?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
fuzzee February 9, 2013
I uninstalled everything and restarted the Dragon trail. I first installed Apache Tomcat 7 then did the following different steps to last night regarding Environment Variables after the successful Tomcat install:
  • Didn't set CATALINA_BASE
  • Set CATALINA_HOME to the Apache Tomcat install directory without adding the bin directory.
  • Set Path to include %CATALINA_HOME%\bin;
  • Set CLASSPATH to include %CATALINA_HOME%\lib
I then ran the windows installer and JIRA started as expected.
1 vote
Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2013

Hello there,

Allow me to share the JIRA installation docs with you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Windows

Please have a good look through and if doesn't work please raise a ticket in our support.atlassian.com and provide details of the errors and the support team will help you with this instalation.

Hope that helps.

fuzzee February 9, 2013

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your reply. That was one of the many instruction guides I had followed to no avail. I should have mentioned I was using a separate install of Tomcat 7, sorry.

I see the page you noted in your reply has comments about a different CATALINA_HOME being a source of JIRA install pain. I hope my answer is of help to others.

Best regards,

Craig

Suggest an answer