Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fisheye Crucible hide vs. exclude and indexing questions

robert.sanders February 5, 2013

I have a large repository that takes forever to index.

I added a whole bunch of hidden directories to suppress the indexing of the parts of the repository that people could live without. The hope was it would speed things up.

It turns out that some of the hidden directories need to be changed from hidden to not hidden.

My questions are:

Q1) does hiding a directory for an indexed repo keeps the directory from being crawled during the indexing process and therefore reduce indexing times? Or, are the hidden directories indexed, but the files aren't visible to the user?

Q2) unhiding a directory for an indexed repo will cause which of these to happen:

• the whole repo will be re-indexed
  • just an incremental indexing of those newly visible directories will occur
  • no re-indexing at all- it will just allow the files to be viewable in GUI
  • other

Q3) what is the difference in hide and exclude? it is confusing to me. Specifically, which one should be used to reduce indexing time?

thanks in advance,

-rob

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2013

Hello Robert,

Q1) does hiding a directory for an indexed repo keeps the directory from being crawled during the indexing process and therefore reduce indexing times? Or, are the hidden directories indexed, but the files aren't visible to the user?

Per our documentation, "FishEye will still index and cache these directories".

Q2) unhiding a directory for an indexed repo will cause which of these to happen:

• the whole repo will be re-indexed
  • just an incremental indexing of those newly visible directories will occur
  • no re-indexing at all- it will just allow the files to be viewable in GUI
  • other

As you stated, no re-indexing at all. It will just allow the files to be viewable in GUI.

Q3) what is the difference in hide and exclude? it is confusing to me. Specifically, which one should be used to reduce indexing time?

In order to reduce indexing time, you should exclude paths from being indexed.

Thanks,

robert.sanders February 6, 2013

based on your answer I went ahead and removed the hidden directories and saved the repo settings.

You're absolutely right! it did not perform a re-index.

thanks a bunch!

-rob

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events