Fields from Mantis are not mapped correctly to fields of JIRA

Christian Bahlcke March 13, 2013

A Mantis Project A was imported. All Custom fields from Mantis were created automatically in JIRA.

When I import the Mantis Project B, which has nearly the same custom fields as project A, the import wizzard (step3/7) lists all fields once again, and the fields are created once again in JIRA. So after the import I have two fields with the same name (for all the custom fields) in JIRA. How can I avoid this? Can I influence the mapping of the fields?

One more hint:

I'm not sure that the fields imported via project A haven't been edited (e.g. added a description, the name is unchanged). Could this be the problem for the defective mapping?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pawel Niewiadomski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2013

This is because JIRA Importers Plugin create custom fields scoped for the given project. So next time you imported issues the previous custom fields were not picked up because they had incompatible project scope. This is to avoid overtaking custom fields created for other reasons.

The solution for you would be to make custom fields global before import and then you can limit their scope again (or leave them global).

Christian Bahlcke March 14, 2013

Thanks for your fast response! After changing the scope of custom fields to "global", the import of project B works fine and all custom fields are mapped correctly.

Pawel Niewiadomski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

Great to hear! So please accept my answer and let me earn some karma coins ;-)

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2013

I agree with Pawel and add some other information: after importing project A you create new custom fields. When you import project B you must map the fields from Mantis to the given fields in Jira. So you have to map mantis_field_a to jira_field_a. In general all new created custom fields are scoped global. I tried it with jira 5.2.8

Suggest an answer